Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Vuescan + flatbed scanner + negatives

Hi. Newb to 35mm film and scanning.

I have a Pentax ME Super
I have computers with Ubuntu Linux as OS only
I have just been given a Canon MP190 flatbed scanner / printer.
I have licensed Vuescan running on Ubuntu, although Simple Scan and AcquireImages also work.

I can scan prints, that's great.

Can I use this flatbed to scan negatives? If so, how do I set up Vuescan please?

Any help on the best support forum for photography appreciated!

06-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That MP190 looks like a reflective scanner. Film scanners are transmission scanners. Some scanners do both but also have another light source in say the lid, for example.
06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I have done hundreds of negatives, color and B&W. A lot of different sizes, many of my Grandfathers from the 1st War.
The easiest is to make a simple light box with a compact flourescent lamp, a glass plate with a piece of white paper for a diffuser and another piece of glass to
hold down the Neg.
Set up the camera with a Macro lens or a lens and a macro filter, even a lens with an extension tube will do on a tripod.
If you have live view it is even better.
Just set up so the neg fills the viewfinder and shoot using the 2 sec delay or use a remote.
Once the focus is set it is just like a production line and faster than a scanner.
Use just about any pic software to change to a pos image. Crop and adjust if necessary.
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your Pentax Forum top rate answers!

06-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi
I have done hundreds of negatives, color and B&W. A lot of different sizes, many of my Grandfathers from the 1st War.
The easiest is to make a simple light box with a compact flourescent lamp, a glass plate with a piece of white paper for a diffuser and another piece of glass to
hold down the Neg.
Set up the camera with a Macro lens or a lens and a macro filter, even a lens with an extension tube will do on a tripod.
If you have live view it is even better.
Just set up so the neg fills the viewfinder and shoot using the 2 sec delay or use a remote.
Once the focus is set it is just like a production line and faster than a scanner.
Use just about any pic software to change to a pos image. Crop and adjust if necessary.
This is interesting. How would a capture like this using a K-5 on low ISO compare to an Epson V750.... assuming a 120 color negative? Say I'm shooting with a DFA 50mm 2.8 macro.... would it be similar?