Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
example of exhausted fixer

To illustrate what exhausted fixer looks like. Note there is 'drag' from the sprocket holes - I was inverting the plastic tank... The immediate solution as I saw the film on the reel was to mix a new batch of fixer and start over. However I had dinner ready... and did not feel like coming back to the film. I'll try dunking individual strips in new fixer.

06-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

That's not exhausted fixer, that's bromide drag: what is bromide drag? And how can I fix it? - Photo.net B&W Photo - Film & Processing Forum

From not agitating enough.
06-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I was thinking that as well... the fact that I seemed possessed to do things differently - usually I invert just in the first 2-3 minutes, and then use the swizzle stick - but this time only did inversions - probably had something to do with the result.

Anyway, I'll see what else happens when I re-fix a strip or two.
06-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have a few pieces of negatives that were exposed and developed, but never fixed. The unexposed silver that's not removed by fixer just turns dark. The whole negative looks as if it was heavily fogged. The image is still well visible, though.

06-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Exhausted fixer shows up years later too as blotchy stains on the negative.

Last edited by tuco; 06-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.
06-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw it right away when the film was on the reel: insufficient fixing.

Some lessons learned: with plastic tanks designed for swizzle stick agitation, use the swizzle stick. However, I've learned with 120 film, it is also beneficial to throw in a couple of cycles of inversion.

If possible, keep a tally of the number of rolls through the batch of fixer. If in doubt, mix a new batch.

In the interest of science, as soon as I'm able I'll re-fix the above pic and re-scan and post it.
06-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Yeah, that spindle that came with my Paterson...sure, um, I know exactly where that is...

Some other customer at Ted's, when he saw me buy the Paterson tank and take the spindle out and ask what it was said: "Oh. That's the spindle. You stick it in the middle of the tank and spin it to agitate the film, then about five minutes after you first use it you take it out, lose it, and never, ever see it again."

06-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the negative cleaned up nicely with a dunk in fresh fixer