Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Okay, back in the day I used masking tape with no problems, but my cameras didn't have winders. Any thoughts on that concern? Also back in the day there're weren't plastic cassettes, IIRC. I seem to remember from somewhere that a winder would pop open one or the other sort of cassette. Any thoughts on that?

06-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Okay, back in the day I used masking tape with no problems, but my cameras didn't have winders. Any thoughts on that concern? Also back in the day there're weren't plastic cassettes, IIRC. I seem to remember from somewhere that a winder would pop open one or the other sort of cassette. Any thoughts on that?
I've used various kinds of tape (masking, brown, painters, regular, electrician's) back in my Olympus days, both with the Winder2 and the Motor Drive 1/2 that existed for OM. I have also indiscriminately used various metal and plastic cases. I've never seen any of them pop open or something of that sort.
06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #33

I've never used plastic cassettes. I don't even think they were available back when I was loading my own. The only time metal cassettes popped open on me was when I dropped them and they happened to land on long end of the spool. The recommended way to open them was just to smack the long end of the spool on a table top.
06-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I've used various kinds of tape (masking, brown, painters, regular, electrician's) back in my Olympus days, both with the Winder2 and the Motor Drive 1/2 that existed for OM. I have also indiscriminately used various metal and plastic cases. I've never seen any of them pop open or something of that sort.

Thanks!

09-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to open this thread again. I just bought a Alden-74 bulk film loader, and I understand how to load film, did quite a few years ago. But that was with my Watson film loader. This new one seems the same for loading film but I have a question about the open/close lever. I don't remember which way is open and when way is closed. Anyone know?
09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Alden 74 is my favorite 35mm bulk film loader.
This youtube video shows how to use one:

Chris
09-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Chris. I was talking about the lever and now remember what it was for. I didn't at first and this video shows me. The open/close comes from the big round cap. Memory is getting slow since I got older. Course it's been a few years (14) since I loaded any film.

09-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are two YouTube videos that show the different systems:

In the interest of full disclosure, they're both mine.

I'm solidly a Lloyd's guy. There's less film waste than with Watson, Western, and Alden. The latter three all lost one or two frames at the end of each roll. They do have the advantage of a larger space, so I can use 150-foot spools without issue.
09-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the info on my Alden's but I know how to load film.

So, now i'm going to ask another question. I have always shot T-Max film, do you all think Ilford is better? How's the grain on that film. And how tolerable to temperatures of the chemicals?