Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

Kodak D-19 developer

Hi,

I just got my hands on some expired Kodak D-19 developer in unopened bag. it says that it´s a high contrast developer. I have never heard of this before, has anyone here any experience with this stuff?

Can it still be used, or should I just throw it away?

06-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any experience with this particular developer - I personally prefer lower contrast developers for 35mm film, but Powdered Developers are known for having exceptional shelf-life and they are very cost effective. I wouldn't throw it out, I would run a few test rolls though first. Bear in mind with High dilutions and low temperatures it is possible to lower the amount of contrast the developer gives per roll of film. The most important thing is to test,test,test again and change only one variable at a time.
06-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
D19 is a stronger contrast developer. It came up as a subject in a flickr group. It is commonly used for things like atrophotography or microscope stuff.
06-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi, Thanks for your advice.

I think I will give it a go and see how it performs. I´m a fan of high contrast in b&w so I might use it more in the future if it works out ok.

06-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I never thought that I would be posting here, but here it is. You can try to use it, but I wouldn't. I use D-19 for developing photographic plates of my transmission electron microscope images. Typically these are very contrasty to best show either the metal microstructures or diffraction patterns that I want to capture from my samples. I think that if you use this (and it works for typical film), then you would contrasty images similar to shooting Delta 3200 (I think).

Elliot
06-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember that: it used to actually come in cans. You might as well play with it, but just don't do anything high-commitment.

(As far as I know, the stuff wouldn't blow your hair back in any particular way if it was fresh. Aged, it might just be interesting. If it's just more contrast you want, run regular ol' D-76 a bit warmer and add a little extra development time. (to the shorter time specified for said temperature, that is. Not to regular time. ) )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.