Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Help needed in indentifying 120 film type

Hey guys,
I need some help with a roll of 120 film. I found this roll of 120 film, the film was unexposed, and asked a friend to lend me his Seagull camera. Everything went ok and I shot the entire roll, but this is where it gets interesting. The roll was missing it's original box and there is no marking on the roll. Nothing. Any ideas on how to identify this film in order to get it developed? Here's a picture of the roll.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9000  Photo 
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, I'm guessing here but I tend to think this is some sort of Lomo brand film. I 'think' it's apt to be color. Looking at the lomo website. http://usa.shop.lomography.com/films/120-film

I'm not seeing this as a a Fuji, Ilford, Kodak brand. So what do you do, assume it's a C-41 film and have a lab develop it? Again, I'm guessing.
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Ok, I'm guessing here but I tend to think this is some sort of Lomo brand film. I 'think' it's apt to be color. Looking at the lomo website. http://usa.shop.lomography.com/films/120-film

I'm not seeing this as a a Fuji, Ilford, Kodak brand. So what do you do, assume it's a C-41 film and have a lab develop it? Again, I'm guessing.

Hrm. I don't recognize it either. I could probably tell by smell what process it might be, though.

Fuji uses green, but to my recollection not on their monochrome backing papers. That probably leaves E-6 or c-41. But... no other writing? As far as I know they *do* write the film type on the bit of tape. (And that looks like *more* tape than major brands use.) I'll ask my Nikonian friend, he's tried more films in recent years.
06-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SirDrinkalot Quote
Hey guys,
I need some help with a roll of 120 film. I found this roll of 120 film, the film was unexposed, and asked a friend to lend me his Seagull camera. Everything went ok and I shot the entire roll, but this is where it gets interesting. The roll was missing it's original box and there is no marking on the roll. Nothing. Any ideas on how to identify this film in order to get it developed? Here's a picture of the roll.
How did you know hat ISO to use? You could have a pro lab do a snip test, which would have the benefit of telling the processing tweek to use, as well as having a chunk of the film with the ID on the edge.

07-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #5

Hi, I'm RML's Nikonian. (And, hi Tim!)

I've seen that backing paper. It's the color scheme used by Freestyle's Arista EDU Ultra rebranded Fomapan 100. I think, but am not certain offhand, that the same color was also used on other speeds of the rebranded Foma. I mostly shoot 100. Very nice stuff, classical-looking B&W emulsion on a thin base that curls like crazy.

Did the roll come in a totally plain, heavyweight white wrapper? If so, then I'd stake my bet it's Arista rebranded Foma.
07-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ilford does a nice job of telling us what it is and what end it is.
https://www.box.com/s/934d326cddc284475faa
07-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
The speed of the film was written on the tape on the beginning of the spool: ASA100, that was all the information. Guess I'll sacrifice a frame and have it developed to see exactly what it is but I also tend to believe that this is some sort of BW film. Thanks for the help guys. Now the next challenge will be finding a lab that still does this type of film

07-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks like the re-branded Foma to me too. Although I can't say 100%.

Everything Ilford, Kodak or Fuji that I have seen tells you pretty clearly as shown in that image.