Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Framing BW paper prints

I am getting a little pile of BW keeper prints in 9 by 6 inch range on ilford multigrade pearl from the Pentax MX and the Ricoh KR-5, much as recommended by forum members 1~2 years or so ago. - thanks to all
Last winter I mounted just 2 into frames as gifts , The frames were expensive and also a lot of time to do it precisely and neatly; I did not know what i was doing at the start; the end results were pleasing to all.
We have a lot of old photos in the old house here and the frame certainly can make a difference, especially on BW.
Wife tells me the most expensive frame here is a silver patina from Harrods of London, , then the big ornate Mikasa glass frames.
then the bright silver "art deco" from Hudsons and finally the many economy wood frames which also look quite good come from "Tuesday Morning"

Actually Wife took a badly underexposed from the junk pile and cut it into a crop and framed it up, it looks rather good.

It is bad form to ask guests to gaze at a monitor......
I am looking for temporary low cost frames maybe just of cardboard, various borders, etc where I can put a few of the 9 by 6 inch up on a rail in the hall and basement with downlights etc, mix and match etc, for cocktail party, birthday etc
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I suggest you try your local "Michaels" arts and craft store. They usually have a section of frames with a selection of prices. And if you want cheap - I mean inexpensive - W*mart has some, albeit (in my experience) made with not-terribly rigorous quality control.

Some folk like "digital frames" - essentially self-contained display devices which (frequently) can hold 100s of images. Not me, mind you, but some folk do.

Good luck.
07-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you just want a temporary/changing display, try mounting some prints just on black foamcore. You can just hang em with some 4-pound test fishing line or something, and it'll look pretty good. You can even get it double-thick in some places, that can look pretty cool. It's very DIYable, especially with smallish prints, though a cutter will really expedite/make it tidy. What you can do is just have a frame shop with a proper cutter and vacuum press do it all neatly: it never used to cost much at all.

Hrm, that actually wouldn't look too bad in *here,* come to think of it.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-03-2012 at 09:12 AM.
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Another way is glass clips, perferrably matted prints but have some window glass cut to the size you want, a solid backing and 4 to 6 clips. Easy to do yourself and easy to change images. IKEA also sells inexpensive ones. We use gallery quality frames but still with the idea of changing images on a semi frequent basis. One can even reuse the mat if it is simple held on with framing tape.

07-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gracias to JF, RML and Red,
Wife tells me there is a Michaels not too far away.
I see foamcore is about $3.50 for 12 by 12 inch... can I cut that on the elementary guillotine here?
My friend has previously cut glass from scrap for This Old house but it was hit and miss, I will ask him about cutting small 10 by 8 inch.
There are "photo corners" on Amazon, but I am not sure if they would hold a 9 by 6 inch paper print to be flat .. ?

Another question if I may:
To carry the paper from enlarger thru the trays and to wash, I have been clamping the wrong end of a film drying peg to grab hold of. It punches 3 holes in the paper... Easy to grab compared to tongs and leaves me free to use the old stopwatch etc but I would like to know if the chemicals might soak in and damage the image in the long term.
I did not see damage so far, actually i crop off the 3 holes as soon as the print is dry.
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

having worked at Michaels in the framing Dept during my high school years, I can tell ya they will sell pre-cut glass. That way, you don't have to worry about that.

They will mount your pic on foam core...used to be called dry mounting. Technology may have changed since I was there...in THE EARLY 80's

Used to be able to buy pre-cut mats for almost nothing, or custom cut for only a few bucks.

Of course, things may have changed some in the last few years. GOOD LUCK.
07-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
having worked at Michaels in the framing Dept during my high school years, I can tell ya they will sell pre-cut glass. That way, you don't have to worry about that.

They will mount your pic on foam core...used to be called dry mounting. Technology may have changed since I was there...in THE EARLY 80's

Used to be able to buy pre-cut mats for almost nothing, or custom cut for only a few bucks.

Of course, things may have changed some in the last few years. GOOD LUCK.
Yes, Michaels will still mount your photo to foam board for you, though I think they use something other than dry-mount tissue for an adhesive.

Steve
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, Thanks All!
I went to local Michaels and got about $25 of supplies almost all from their close-out racks.
Frames are expensive! not sure what i am doing here but Wife seemed to think I got some good "mats" and some foam core.

I have the Zeiss Ikon Nettar which produces the 90 by 60mm negs, being refurbished by Mark Hansen.

I like those big 9 by 6 negs with only 8 shots; easy to load on the spiral in the dark,and the big old enlarger here is exactly with the correct glass frames etc.
and the Rogonar 90mm,.. and easy for me to focus on the paper compared to 35mm
I reckon I can produce a really big paper print with the gear I have except for trays.

The Zeiss Ikon Nettar is a fair b******d to use.
Complaints about AF, Flare , sharpness VF etc ? .. Borrow a 1936 Zeiss Ikon Nettar for a day.

Questions:
What was a reasonably low cost camera for 90 by 60mm by 8 shots on 120 with say a coated 80 mm ~120 mm lens and a winder to prevent double exposure and a reasonably civilized Viewfinder for an old guy?
- thanks

07-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Questions:
What was a reasonably low cost camera for 90 by 60mm by 8 shots on 120 with say a coated 80 mm ~120 mm lens and a winder to prevent double exposure and a reasonably civilized Viewfinder for an old guy?
- thanks
Ask Nesster (user on this site). He is the go-to -guy for vintage medium format.

Steve
07-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Questions:
- thanks

Hrm, that's a pretty tall order for 6x9: vintage folders and 'civilized viewfinders' don't come together very cheap, to my knowing. Double-exposure prevention might be hard to find, too, since they'll be leaf shutters. As for a 6x9 'winder,' if you mean powered, I don't think any exist. Fuji made some medium-format AF 645s, though. And some (now rather pricey) proper rangefinders.

For a cheaper way out, you might have to go to like a Mamiya Universal, pretty sure that can take a 6x9 back with a wind crank and a big finder and plenty of accessories, if you can get em together all working and stuff. Only drawback is they're kind of beasts to carry. I may be forgetting something, but the real heyday of that format was those big ol' folders. (Probably the way I'd go, but you have to be willing to do the old-school habits and put up with old finders. People who are real experts might be able to suggest particular models. I think my Nikonian friend still has something along those lines he got fixed up but may be willing to part with: I can't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the more desireable models. I also can't remember if there's a problem with it, or if he just doesn't like it that much. )

If you're willing to go down to 6x7, a lot of more-modern options open up. SLRs, even.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-09-2012 at 09:04 AM.