Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
film scaning using Xtend-a-Slide

I came across a Xtend-a-Slide , which uses your camera as the scanner, just wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks

Paul

08-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see why it wouldn't work, though I would recommend using a macro lens instead of the 10x diopter. Looking at the Nikon compatibility chart page, the Nikon 28-105 macro doesn't need the diopter. That lens only does 1:2, so any of the Pentax macro lenses should work just fine.
08-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will probably work to some degree to copy color slides, but since it doesn't contain any conversion software, you probably won't have much luck copying color negative film because of the orange color mask. I've used a "Spiratone" slide copy attachment for a camera with mixed luck. I've copied black and white film and tried to do a negative to positive conversion in Paintshop Pro, but wasn't satisfied with the results. I tried to copy color negative film but couldn't get rid of the orange mask, so that was a failure. The only GOOD luck that I've had in copying slides and both b/w and color film is with my Wireless Canon Pixma MG8120 all-in-one printer, scanner. It has a film and slide holder and light source that shines through the film into the scanner. It also has conversion software built in to render slides and both color and b/w film as positives with excellent color. It is also an excellent color photo printer for under $200 USD.
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't see why it wouldn't work, though I would recommend using a macro lens instead of the 10x diopter. Looking at the Nikon compatibility chart page, the Nikon 28-105 macro doesn't need the diopter. That lens only does 1:2, so any of the Pentax macro lenses should work just fine.
I have a 28 - 80 SMC F zoom with Macro; according to Phil at photosolve it would still need a closeup lenses; reason being that the lens has to be capable th focus on a full frame of the slide at a distance of 1 - 5 inches. this lens will not focus any closed than 9 inches. Unfortunately I do not own any Nikon , just Pentax and a Zenit Photosniper

08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
It will probably work to some degree to copy color slides, but since it doesn't contain any conversion software, you probably won't have much luck copying color negative film because of the orange color mask. I've used a "Spiratone" slide copy attachment for a camera with mixed luck. I've copied black and white film and tried to do a negative to positive conversion in Paintshop Pro, but wasn't satisfied with the results. I tried to copy color negative film but couldn't get rid of the orange mask, so that was a failure. The only GOOD luck that I've had in copying slides and both b/w and color film is with my Wireless Canon Pixma MG8120 all-in-one printer, scanner. It has a film and slide holder and light source that shines through the film into the scanner. It also has conversion software built in to render slides and both color and b/w film as positives with excellent color. It is also an excellent color photo printer for under $200 USD.
That may be a bit of a problem with conversion software since I am running Linux. How ever most of the stuff is colour slides, very few colour negatives.
08-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpaulb Quote
I have a 28 - 80 SMC F zoom with Macro; according to Phil at photosolve it would still need a closeup lenses; reason being that the lens has to be capable th focus on a full frame of the slide at a distance of 1 - 5 inches. this lens will not focus any closed than 9 inches. Unfortunately I do not own any Nikon , just Pentax and a Zenit Photosniper
Consumer zooms don't really have true macro. There's a Promaster 100mm in the marketplace that would work.