Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Buying ebay film from Asia?

Has anyone had any experience buying film on ebay from Asia? There's some I'd like to try but I'm concerned about the potential for film being x-rayed in the postal system en route. It's 100 ISO film, so not very sensitive. I've no idea how likely this is to happen.

Thanks

09-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What film is it? It will probably not be affected by the x-ray of the postal system.
09-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

I thought of buying them - but after comparing cost and taking in account all my time spended for exposure and development I decided to stay with Ilford films.
09-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
What film is it? It will probably not be affected by the x-ray of the postal system.
35mm Kodak ProFoto XL. It's apparently something between Gold and Portra, but from the photos I've seen it's closer to Portra. However, it's not available in first-world countries.

09-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My last 3 batches of film were via eBay from Hong Kong, Thailand... somewhere; I forget. It's now so impossible to get Fujicolour 200 here, that that's what I have to do. Stupid, & frustrating. Anyway, the films have been ok.
If you don't want expired film, check the expiry dates!!! There are a number of ebayers selling expired film; others don't tell you the date or don't make it clear. Ideally you'd like to see a picture of the box. Also of course check the feedback. I never buy from people who have many negatives, even if I have to pay a few dollars more.

One of the listings says this film "is intended for portrait and social applications, and can be stored at room temperature—even in hot, humid climates."

??... ok... Really?

Anyway, hope you have success.
09-02-2012, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
My last 3 batches of film were via eBay from Hong Kong, Thailand... somewhere; I forget. It's now so impossible to get Fujicolour 200 here, that that's what I have to do. Stupid, & frustrating. Anyway, the films have been ok.
If you don't want expired film, check the expiry dates!!! There are a number of ebayers selling expired film; others don't tell you the date or don't make it clear. Ideally you'd like to see a picture of the box. Also of course check the feedback. I never buy from people who have many negatives, even if I have to pay a few dollars more.

One of the listings says this film "is intended for portrait and social applications, and can be stored at room temperature—even in hot, humid climates."

??... ok... Really?

Anyway, hope you have success.
The expiry dates are March to May next year, which isn't very long as I don't get through that much colour film. I'd read about the room temperature storage too. I usually store film in the fridge so that wouldn't be an issue, but maybe that film always has a short date based on not being refridgerated.

Well, so long as someone has experience getting film by post from Asia and has had no problems, that's ok. I'll probably order some.

There's a UK company I've used that ships worldwide, they have Fujicolor 200 in stock. Delivery will be more expensive than ebay though: Fujicolor 200 36 exp..
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

I just ordered 30 rolls of Provia 400X 120 film from a seller called 'films-festival' who, by looking at their feedback, sell a lot of film with good feedback. They post the expiry on the lot (04/2014 for mine).

I paid about $6.50/roll including shipping. By comparison the same film would be $8.50/roll with shipping to Canada from B&H and buying it in Canada is $12-15/roll plus shipping, as I don't live within 2000 km of a place that sells film. Unless it turns out there are any issues, based on price alone I'll probably keep ordering my color film from eBay.

Ilford films, OTOH, I seem to be able to get the best price on from B&H instead of eBay.

09-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My last batch was from "films-festival"! I was satisfied with them.
The trouble with buying ebay film that I've had, is when I go back for more, whoever I bought from last time doesn't have any more, or I can't find them. So I have to start over again looking at new sellers.
09-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
There's a UK company I've used that ships worldwide, they have Fujicolor 200 in stock. Delivery will be more expensive than ebay though: Fujicolor 200 36 exp..
Hmmm..mmmm....! Thanks for posting that! The total is about the same price per film that I paid last time on eBay. But I notice, the price on the item page, per film, was not the same price once I put it in the basket -- it was cheaper. ???? And, they don't give the expiry date. Do you know if they are selling nearly or expired film, or are the dates good? And, can you get the VAT back anywhere?
I might just buy from them next time, if I don't like what I find on eBay.

[Edit: Duh, I meant Superia. They have that too. Yay ]
09-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've ordered T-max100,400; Ektar160; Porta160; from various places (ie.China, Thailand, US);
Did not have any issues with them.
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've found film festival. Looks like they're based in Thailand and have decent prices. They also publish the expiry dates, which is essential for buying film online.
09-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Hmmm..mmmm....! Thanks for posting that! The total is about the same price per film that I paid last time on eBay. But I notice, the price on the item page, per film, was not the same price once I put it in the basket -- it was cheaper. ???? And, they don't give the expiry date. Do you know if they are selling nearly or expired film, or are the dates good? And, can you get the VAT back anywhere?
I might just buy from them next time, if I don't like what I find on eBay.

[Edit: Duh, I meant Superia. They have that too. Yay ]
I've only used them once and was happy with them. They sent me some Ektar which wasn't anywhere close to expiry. The boxes were a bit beaten up though, as they were sent in a padded envelope. The films were fine, but I like unbashed boxes if possible.
09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #13

My film showed up and it all looks good, so far as it was packed well and the expiry dates are accurate. I still have some other film left until I shoot this but I don't expect any problems. It took just over two weeks to arrive in Canada.
09-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still waiting for mine to arrive, but I ordered some B&W (Fomapan & Acros) from the same seller as well.
10-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've ordered Lucky and ShangHai from eBay and both have been just fine. They're made in China and ship from China or Hong Kong. I also ordered Russian Kodak Gold 100.

On one occasion I had three rolls of ShangHai show up with and the numbers from the paper backing appeared on the final prints. It happened in three different cameras, and no other film has done that in either of those cameras, leading me to believe it was X-ray damage.