Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Avoid X-ray scanning film entirely though it may not matter much.
I have a lead lined bag for film that is put in the checked bags. I'm not sure what is required for film in carry on now in this rather anal security environment we live in, but I believe they can hand check the film without it going through the X-ray. Avoid having film in the camera if possible when it goes through a check point as the camera may have to go through the scanner but I couldn't say.

Best to carry on the cameras and maybe one roll of film and put the rest in the lead bag in checked luggage (put the bag on top in the luggage since they will likely check it), then develop everything there since it won't care about scanning after its developed.

09-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #17

Generally you are supposed to never check film the x-ray machines they use are much more powerful. Always carry on, I have always been able to get film checked by hand but apparently one or two times through the machine are not a huge deal.

Kodak says that lead-lined bags will weaken but not necessarily stop the effects. I've also read somewhere else that a lead-lined bag will just cause the person manning the x-ray to crank up the power to see what is inside, making the problem even worse.

Baggage X-ray Scanning Effects on Film
09-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link. I've heard so many people recommend Acros I ordered five rolls in 120 format on the bay last night along with some Fomapan 100. The European website you provided looks good but the delivery prices are astronomical unless you order a minimum of 4kg of product. My five rolls delivered cost several euros less than the pre-delivery price on that website (though they will take around two weeks to arrive).

Regarding x-ray scanners, I would recommend asking for a visual inspection of film wherever possible. If they say no, then you'll just have to scan it, but maybe you can reduce the number of times it has to go through the scans. Bear in mind that older scanners use more powerful x-rays (newer ones get the same resolution from lower power) and that less developed countries are more likely to have older machines. NEVER check in film, as stated above, the scanners used on checked baggage are much stronger.
09-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, all, for the bag scan info. I will hand carry
Sounds like the best way is:
Find a developing shop at destination and purchase the film there, process before next travel.
But the developers are progressively closing, and I suppose the equipment level and skill level is declining too.

09-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #20

Original Poster
Could you purchase the film there, and then FedEx the undeveloped rolls back to the USA for processing before you leave?
Does FedEx x-ray their packages?

Side note: I stopped by another Wallgreens on the way home from the office yesterday and got lucky again! 3 more boxes of BW400CN, $7 each! (3 rolls per box, 24 exp)

I added it up and so far I've purchased $75 worth of film for $35. That's 360 exp for $35! Not a bad deal.