Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Help/Advice: 4-Month Expired Kodak Elite Chrome 200 ISO

Today I purchased what a camera shop owner told me was his last roll of slide film, a 36-roll of Kodak Elite Chrome 200 ISO that expired in April this year. It's been about three years since I shot slides, and at the time I was shooting Fuji Sensia 400. I've never shot Kodak slide film, and I can't recall shooting expired film either.

I have a few questions:

1) Is this film worthless?

2) If not, how long do I have to shoot it?

3) What can I expect from expired slide film as compared to non-expired slide film?

4) Ideally, I'd like to use it either for some late-sunset/night cityscape shots or perhaps to shoot some fall colours (in October). Any thoughts on either of theses two ideas, given the state of the film?

Many thanks in advance!

09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dates of expiry are not written in stone as if there is a clock running on them. The way it is stored can have a bigger impact than being expired. A new roll left to cook in a car can be in worse shape than a film kept in the fridge and two years past it's date. It seems the first things to go are the accuracy of colours, but nowadays we have the ability to fix most of that.
09-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to use Elitechome all the time in the 1990's. As "arnold" said as long as film is properly stored (fridge for shorter periods/freezer for longer) it will last WAY past the expiry date.

Go ahead and shoot it as any other film. Skylight and polarizer filters work well with any coloured slide film.

Phil.