Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well Darn....

Target, Walmart, the drug stores, and pretty much everyone else I use has decided not to develop film at all anymore. I've got two professional processing labs in the area, but one is too far away for me to go to all the time. The other one is local and decent I'm told but they're only open 4 days a week and they charge a fair bit more than I'm used to paying elsewhere. I'm hoping they turn out to be worth the $$$ but if not I'm thinking I may have to go online.

So who do you use if you don't develop yourself? I think the only other film lab I know is Dwayne's and I don't know that much about them actually. No, developing here is not an option unfortunately and I have chemical issues besides so it's better if I just avoid it, let someone else develop it, and get the negatives to scan.

Online labs? Who's good, who's bad, who's reasonable?

Thanks!

09-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

dalelabs
Used them years ago when I shot film. Excellent job but I'm not sure about prices.
09-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

there are c41developing (actually any process) compact home automatic machines (my college uses one them) but i cannot find any of them in web :/
09-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

UPD: found one JOBO International GmbH: JOBO CPP3

09-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am glad you asked that question. I plan on learning to develop my own in the future, but for right now I got my hands on some tri-x, and now need to get it developed There is no one around here that develops B/W. So now I too am looking for a good online co..
09-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was ticked when I realized that the local Walgreen's, Walmart and Target had decided to quit. I don't know if Walgreens is doing it nationally or not but here they won't even send it out anymore. Target just quit. Walmart killed it a while back. They didn't have great service to begin with but it was better than schlepping halfway across town anyhow...
09-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The walgreens around the corner her still processes film. As long as it is C-41. They have stopped carrying Kodak film. The kroger stores here still have kodak color film, tho I don't know for how much longer.

09-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Dwayne's does exceptionally good work, and they aren't really any more expensive than the local pro lab here. Turn around is about a week.
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

CVS still processes, but it's C41 only.

I just ordered some B&W and it looks like mail order is the only option available. Has anyone used The Darkroom. The prices seem fair for develop + CD. Also, any other suggestions that would be economical and still get decent quality?
09-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Blue Moon in Portland does processing by mail. They are local to me and I use them for my C41.

Services | Blue Moon Camera and Machine

Steve
09-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
dalelabs
Used them years ago when I shot film. Excellent job but I'm not sure about prices.
Prices are more than twice what Dwayne's charges.
09-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Dwayne's does exceptionally good work, and they aren't really any more expensive than the local pro lab here. Turn around is about a week.
I started using Dwayne's after my local Walmart stopped in-house developing. The quality is teriffic, and the scans have a much higher resolution. My turnaround has been less than two weeks (round trip between Kansas and Maryland). But it's worth it.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Prices are more than twice what Dwayne's charges.
The big savings is when you send Dwayne's multiple rolls at once - $4.50 shipping for the first roll, but only 50 cents for additional rolls. The bottom line, I'm still spending less than I would at WalMart. Also need to factor in the cost to send the film - USPS is charging me $1.95 to send one roll, $2.95 to send two.
09-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was actually going to ask if the trend of both Walgreens and Target clearancing Kodak film was a Kodak thing or a film thing. Target is dumping Kodak Gold 200 for dirt cheap on clearance, and I walked into a Walgreens today and found one of the few remaining clearance boxes (24 exposure 3 pack) of BW400CN for $6.99 (most stores have been out for 2 months) and I picked up a 24 exposure 4 pack of Kodak Ultra max 800 for $8.49 since they are clearancing that now too. Woulda bought more of it but I never really use 800.

The darkroom is almost set up thankfully since this will be my last C41 purchases I think, the local target still does a good job for dirt cheap but they keep getting told "soon" for when they will stop and since its been a lot longer than soon I assume they are just burning up the remaining chemical stocks in the warehouse and/or waiting till the mini lab breaks. The Walgreens here still do film though its a lot pricier than the $3.50 Target charges to develop, scan to cd and even make an index print. I haven't checked to see if the new Walgreens got a mini lab, I'm guessing not. I think the Walmart still does it from a central hub though I haven't checked in a good while, I know they don't do it in store.
I can see dropping it from individual stores but its stupid not to have a central location to develop the film and ship it back.
I think part of the confusion is that while stores in low volume film areas are stopping, areas that do high volume for film are keeping the equipment for now, and are actually seeing an increase as the number of places that do it dries up, sorta a last man standing scenario. I think the Target still does it because this is an artsy area and the nearest photo place is an hour away during low traffic times.
09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone have any experience with Mpix film processing?
09-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #15

I use E-Six Lab here in Atlanta. You can mail them your stuff. Highly recommended.

E-Six Lab of Atlanta - professional film processing, E6, C41, digital

E-6 Lab of Atlanta Inc - Westside / Home Park - Atlanta, GA