Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Epson V700 vs. V750M?

I'm trying to decide between the Epson V700 and the V750m, and I'm struggling to decide if the additional 250 USD for the 750m makes any sense for me. The Epson site does not offer a comparative matrix. Other than the wet mount technology (interesting, but uncertain if I need it) and the MonacoEZcolor software, what does the 750 have over the 700? They seem to have the same specs in the website's overview.

Does the wet mount technology *really* bring all that much to the table to warrant the 250 dollar surcharge?

The bulk of my work will be 35mm color negative, but I also have other, very old medium format negs from my grandparents. I am also playing with 645 film now as well.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

09-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

To what end are you scanning? Professional or Personal use? To make large prints, or to digitize for sharing? Serious archiving, or scrap booking?

I have the V700; it's an incredibly good scanner. As an example, I took a 2-1/2" wallet print of my dad in highschool (1937) and scanned it with enough clean resolution to make 30"x40" enlargements.

In my opinion, it makes more sense to get the v700 and spend a little extra on the Better Scanning film holders.
09-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As I understand it, the software package on the V750 is better than the V700. I am a confirmed Silverfast user (much as I hate the company and its gouging policies) so that matters to me. As for the rest, I calibrated the scanner with the Monaco package (and accompanying IT8 targets) and get great colour from this machine. Not sure whether the extra coatings on the V750 optics (cf the V700) make any real difference, but it can't hurt to have 'em.
09-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
To what end are you scanning? Professional or Personal use? To make large prints, or to digitize for sharing? Serious archiving, or scrap booking?
[/URL].
Hi, Venturi: I would classify the work as serious archiving. I'm at an age where I have 30+ years of personal photos as well as older family images that need to be digitized. I wanted to go as high end as possible in regards to scanner quality, as this project will be "it" as far as keeping these images for future generations. I'd like to capture as much information off these negatives as possible.

So really, it sounds like the big jump to the 750m buys you the wet mount ability and some software. That's pricey for an extra 250 dollars. Hmmm.

09-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I really think, based on your stated intents, that the anti-newton glass from betterscanning is going to be your wisest investment if you're doing negatives.

What I meant by "serious archiving" was more along the lines of professional/museum/gallery work - not that archiving 30+ years of photos is in any way trivial. I am embarking on a rather serious project of archiving all of my dad's slides and negatives from his post-WWII work travels through the south pacific and east asia. I get nervous just opening those old metal negative canisters.
10-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I really think, based on your stated intents, that the anti-newton glass from betterscanning is going to be your wisest investment if you're doing negatives.

What I meant by "serious archiving" was more along the lines of professional/museum/gallery work - not that archiving 30+ years of photos is in any way trivial. I am embarking on a rather serious project of archiving all of my dad's slides and negatives from his post-WWII work travels through the south pacific and east asia. I get nervous just opening those old metal negative canisters.
Another vote for Betterscanning.com products. I have a V700 and the stock carriers for 120 are totally inadequate, the film sags so you can't get uniform sharpness. Their MF holder and anti-Newton's glass - and some fiddley adjustments to the height of the carrier, and wonderful results.

The 700's 35mm carriers are okay, but I think I should get the anti - glass for film bowed across its width. I've heard good things about Vuescan software, BTW. They have a trial version available.