Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Slide Projector.

Hi all.

As some may know my partner and I have recently moved house, in the process we once again discovered her father's collection of slides taken over the years, as well as the still functioning projector.

The only issue is that the projector is missing the magazine/carrier thing to hold the slides.

My first question is, are the projector magazines specific to each model projector, or will any work with any?
The projector we have is a Braun Nurnberg Paxomat if it makes a difference.

The other question, is in regards to keeping the slides in good condition for years to come. They have been stored in many ways, some sleeved, some boxed, some in metal container. But all of them were stored in a dusty garage (blame her dad for that one)
There's a mix of brands, heaps of Kodachrome and an assortment of other "chrome" names (I think a lot of Agfa maybe?)

Anyway, are there any precautions I should take while projecting them to avoid damaging them?

11-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Germany, there were 6 (!) different systems in use. Worldwide, they may have been more.

There have also been magazines fitting more than one projector system, and projectors which could handle more than one magazine system. Some Leica Pradovit projectors could handle 3 different systems, and some Braun and Kindermann could (with mechanical switches) be utilized for all 6 systems. Whether your projector is such an universal one I don't know.

As far as I remember, Braun Nürnberg had their own Paxette system, which may have been licensed to some other manufacturers.

If you investigate, be careful: Braun (later bought by Gilette) and Braun Nürnberg (later melted with Kindermann) were different companies, and, for a while, they both produced slide projectors!
11-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, that's a bother.

I was hoping that much like 35mm film there was a standard size in use.

I will keep an eye out, there's currently a Hanimex magazine for sale in the area for only $5, I may buy it and hope it fits (at least if it doesn't it's only $5 I've lost)

I will see if I can find a model number or something on the projector.

edit:
Not my image, but the one I have looks the same as this one, I will need to confirm mine is an 850 though)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41123478@N03/5511327711/
11-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. There are many different kinds of slide magazines. make sure the globe still works before you invest in magazines. If you replace the globe which can be expensive make sure it is the correct amps or you can damage the projector.

2. Any Agfa slides will be on the way out - they go downhill badly after 20 years. The Kodak are probably fine. Tropics are a killer with heat and humidity. Low humidity storage if possible is best and this is often in a cupboard. The projector does the most damage in my experience.

3. I have never found a good system for cleaning slides.

11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
1. There are many different kinds of slide magazines. make sure the globe still works before you invest in magazines. If you replace the globe which can be expensive make sure it is the correct amps or you can damage the projector.

2. Any Agfa slides will be on the way out - they go downhill badly after 20 years. The Kodak are probably fine. Tropics are a killer with heat and humidity. Low humidity storage if possible is best and this is often in a cupboard. The projector does the most damage in my experience.

3. I have never found a good system for cleaning slides.

Projector is still in 100% working order, globe works, image can be correctly focussed when a slide is manually slid into the slot, when the remote is pressed the slide carrier thing moves in and out correctly (but not having a magazing I can't check it advances properly)

Most of the slides seem to still be ok, there's a few discoloured and faded ones, but overall they seem quite good.
Granted, there's many I haven;t checked (there's easily over a thousand slides) but many of them are historically important, either for us (being pictures of my gf's family) but there's also many many images from Lakeside raceway when it was built, and many other historic QLD landmarks.

Luckily for storage they're now located in Victoria, away from the humidity and heat of QLD.
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get a few quotes to scan them all. Slides are easier to scan automatically than cut film, as they can be loaded into a cassette. You should be able to find a company who will provide a reasonable rate.
Once scanned, then you can view or print them however you wish.
I initially balked at the cost of scanning my old photos, but it's been worth it for peace of mind and the convenience of being able to view them easily.
11-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found a reference in the German wikipedia:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braun_Photo_Technik

It says the universal ones were called Paximat Multimag (with some added names or numbers). Altogether they sold more than 4 million of these worldwide.

11-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I found a reference in the German wikipedia:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braun_Photo_Technik

It says the universal ones were called Paximat Multimag (with some added names or numbers). Altogether they sold more than 4 million of these worldwide.

I will check when I get home, hopefully mine is one of those 4 million! (although I doubt it, I don't recall multimag being written anywhere)
07-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #9

Can someone assist me? I have 5 carrying suitcases of Airequipt magazines of my childhood inherited from my father. I have read the previous posts and wonder if the Airequipt magazines will work in any multiprojector for viewing or does it require a specific projector? Any assistance or help you can give me will be appreciated.