Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #1

Problems with Epson 700V scanner

Hello everybody,

on Juli 8 2010 member luckyslxty started a thread about problems he had with Epson scanner 700V when scanning transparencies. After a long and detailed discussion he finally stated, he had solved his problems, but he didn't say how.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/film-processing-scanning-darkroom/110072-problems-scanning-transparencies-epson-v700.html

Now, I have exactly the same problems, as I can say from his descriptions and the screen shots he showed. I bought the scanner, scanned two dozen ektachrome tansparencies with it and was very satisfied. Then, after a pause of about 3 weeks, I started the scanner again and wanted to scan new films. The software was still set the way I had used successfully before. But now no real scans at all appeared on the screen. They look very much like the screen shot of luckyslxty in the posting #11 of his thread. At the same time all scans of paper photos are perfect, only film scans don't work.

At first I thought of a hardware problem, since the software and the interface seemed to work, as seen by paper scans. I sent the scanner to Epson for a guarantee repair. It came back, they coudn't find any fault. After a long telephone service talk, I sent them the scanner again. This time they sent me another new scanner in exchange. But that didn't change anything. It's still not working. But the problem doesn't seem to be in the hardware.

I am running the Epson software under Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded the newest Windows7 driver from Epson and installed it. Same results.
I tried, to install it on Windows XP. Same results.
I tried the Silverfast Software provided as an alternative with the scanner (which however relies on Epson's driver). Same results.
I am really at loss what to do.

Perhaps it would help to know, how luckyslxty finally solved his problem, but I don't know how to contact him.

I would be very thankful if anybody could help to solve this.

artnat.

12-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums!

I took a look and luckslxty last posted in August of 2010, which is eons ago. My guess is he moved on and left PF far behind. Look, while chances are good someone might be able to give you some direction here, perhaps asking questions on other forums that have a better dedicated scanning section might be a good idea. A suggestion would be the folks over at Rangefinderforum.com, as they do a lot with film, film developing and scanning.

Maybe a learned Pentaxian could offer guidance as well. Best of luck with that V700!
12-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by artnat Quote
but I don't know how to contact him.
Did you try to message him through this site? With any luck he may still be using the same e-mail address and be able to answer your query.

Steve
12-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hello everybody,

on Juli 8 2010 member luckyslxty started a thread about problems he had with Epson scanner 700V when scanning transparencies. After a long and detailed discussion he finally stated, he had solved his problems, but he didn't say how.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/film-processing-scanning-darkroom/110072-problems-scanning-transparencies-epson-v700.html

Now, I have exactly the same problems, as I can say from his descriptions and the screen shots he showed. I bought the scanner, scanned two dozen ektachrome tansparencies with it and was very satisfied. Then, after a pause of about 3 weeks, I started the scanner again and wanted to scan new films. The software was still set the way I had used successfully before. But now no real scans at all appeared on the screen. They look very much like the screen shot of luckyslxty in the posting #11 of his thread. At the same time all scans of paper photos are perfect, only film scans don't work.

At first I thought of a hardware problem, since the software and the interface seemed to work, as seen by paper scans. I sent the scanner to Epson for a guarantee repair. It came back, they coudn't find any fault. After a long telephone service talk, I sent them the scanner again. This time they sent me another new scanner in exchange. But that didn't change anything. It's still not working. But the problem doesn't seem to be in the hardware.

I am running the Epson software under Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded the newest Windows7 driver from Epson and installed it. Same results.
I tried, to install it on Windows XP. Same results.
I tried the Silverfast Software provided as an alternative with the scanner (which however relies on Epson's driver). Same results.
I am really at loss what to do.

Perhaps it would help to know, how luckyslxty finally solved his problem, but I don't know how to contact him.

I would be very thankful if anybody could help to solve this.

artnat.
A starting point might be to try different scanning software. Might help you determine whether the problem is hardware or software. Try the demo version of Vuescan. It is a free download at VueScan Scanner Software for Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), Linux, iPhone, iPad, iPod. It works well with the V700.

12-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello everybody,

I startet this thread, when I was rather desperate. Now I have solved the problem, and I want to leave information about the solution, if anybody else should have the same problem.
Epson provides along with the scanner different frames for different transparency formats, and a flat frame for putting large transparencies directly on the scanner glass. This frame was missing, when I got my scanner, and I thought, it is not necessary anyway. In fact, it is not necessary, if you know what it is for. It is only meant to ensure, that the uppermost millimetres of the scanner glass stay free. There are two photocells which are responsible for the light intensity calibration so far I understood. I had in fact very large transparencies, so I needed most of the scanner glass area. And in order do align the transparencies properly I just put the directly to the upper boundary. That was the problem. If the calibration photocells are at least partly covered by the slide, they receive less light. So they tell the calibration, that the scanner lamp is rather dim, and the consquence are the weird scans.

That's it. Thanks to all suggestions. artnat
12-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woo! Hoo! I guess I knew that, but had forgotten the symptoms for not using the mask! Thanks for adding your learning to the available knowledge on the Web.

Steve
01-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

...Epson provides along with the scanner different frames for different transparency formats, and a flat frame for putting large transparencies directly on the scanner glass. ...It is only meant to ensure, that the uppermost millimetres of the scanner glass stay free. There are two photocells which are responsible for the light intensity calibration so far I understood. ...
That's what that thingie is for! I always used it, cos it said to. Maybe I'll try it without, to illustrate & see for myself what happens. Thanks for taking time to post what you learned.