Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Thanks for this comment, I had not considered the purity of tap water as a concern, very interesting. Do any other film development experts here on the forum agree avoiding tap water is this important, or simply a helpful measure?
I wouldn't worry about using tap water. If it meets normal municipal water standards, it should be fine. If you do run into a problem, it is more likely to be particles than chemicals. If you are really having trouble, a more affordable solution than distilled water is drinking water that has been purified by reverse osmosis, commonly available in bulk at grocery stores.

(My comments are based on having run a professional black and white lab, as well as home labs in various locations, and a good deal of literature research done in the dim past.)

Good luck!

12-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I wouldn't worry about using tap water. If it meets normal municipal water standards, it should be fine. If you do run into a problem, it is more likely to be particles than chemicals. If you are really having trouble, a more affordable solution than distilled water is drinking water that has been purified by reverse osmosis, commonly available in bulk at grocery stores.

(My comments are based on having run a professional black and white lab, as well as home labs in various locations, and a good deal of literature research done in the dim past.)

Good luck!
John, my comments about water were based on the water in Adelaide, Australia. Around the time I had the problem to which I referred the water was declared too salty for human consumption, according to UN standards, and the water is not desired for stowage in ships etc. It is also heavily chlorinated in summer, to the extent that the chlorine smell is quite noticable for most people. Deionised or RO water should be fine, I agree.
12-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
drinking water that has been purified by reverse osmosis
That is what I use for mixing developer and for diluting Photo-Flo.

Steve
12-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Thanks for this comment, I had not considered the purity of tap water as a concern, very interesting. Do any other film development experts here on the forum agree avoiding tap water is this important, or simply a helpful measure?
I use tap water and distilled water, but recently prefer the latter. Sure, usually tap water should meet your expectations unless it doesn't meet certain standards of its clarity.
For my part it's sometimes very important to know which hardness the water has and with distilled water I've got a value to rely on (and I don't want to use coffee filters).

12-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends where you are. Fact is that distilled water's cheap enough at the supermarket that you may as well use that, if in doubt. I just keep several gallons of it around for emergencies and refresh it when I've used some to mix chemistry.

(As for T-max films, the T-max developer seems a little better than D-76 if it's still around. Not better-enough to obsess about, but it was also a bit handier to mix.)
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Phonoline
Here is a " portrait" 6 by 9 on Kodak TMY400 in re-used Microphen at development time per the box.
https://www.box.com/s/dvj437uwtnk3l1fd0m95
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Great great comments LazyPup! Some additions and agreements:

-- Use a liquid developer, don't start by mixing your own from powder. One less thing.
-- Use a changing bag, you will never get a room totally dark or anything else. Changing bags are cheap
-- Personal preference but I much prefer the stainless reels, they are much easier to load IMHO. The plastic ones in theory are easier to load but in my experience not really. They get wet which makes things slip and the film isn't "straight" going in, and they are generally cheaply made. Get the Hewes reels. They are brutally expensive but if you get the cheap reel you will drive yourself crazy. The Hewes reel loads pefect the first time, every time.
-- Time and temp. Couldn't agree more.

You will have tons and tons of fun!!

Todd

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-18-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Advertising & personal links not allowed.