Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blue / cyan stripe

Just picked up a couple rolls of Ultramax 400 from the camera shop... one of the rolls has a blue / cyan stripe down the middle. I try to be gentle with the negatives, so I'm wondering if I did this, or is it possible that it is from the processing... I'm still scanning... but it appears to go the whole length of one roll.

Any thoughts / suggestions for the best way to digitally remove the line (I'm limited with freeware technology ie GIMP) I don't really want to clone it out of every frame. just a quick upload to illustrate the phenomenon.

cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EPSON scanner  Photo 

Last edited by mattt; 12-14-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added photo
12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Just picked up a couple rolls of Ultramax 400 from the camera shop... one of the rolls has a blue / cyan stripe down the middle. I try to be gentle with the negatives, so I'm wondering if I did this, or is it possible that it is from the processing... I'm still scanning... but it appears to go the whole length of one roll.

Any thoughts / suggestions for the best way to digitally remove the line (I'm limited with freeware technology ie GIMP) I don't really want to clone it out of every frame. just a quick upload to illustrate the phenomenon.

cheers
Can you see the line on the negatives? As far as processing goes, you could cheat and just slide the top of each photo down a few pixels, but some pics might end up looking weird if you did that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I understand that you shot two rolls with the same camera, had them both processed at the same time and place and now see the stripe on only the last roll scanned?

Most options are open: Defect on the film from the get-go, defective film carrtridge, processing damage (unlikely if just one roll is destroyed), or your scanner just went south.

Looking at the film, can you see the defect? If so you can rule out the scanner.
12-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like a scanner issue, thanks guys.

12-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That, my friend, looks like a scratch on the film, though it may be a scanner issue. Scan the negatives the other way around (inverted) and see if the line is in the same place.

Steve
12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That, my friend, looks like a scratch on the film, though it may be a scanner issue. Scan the negatives the other way around (inverted) and see if the line is in the same place.

Steve
I use a V500, and I normally scan only one strip at a time, so I loaded the strip into the other slot... and the blue line magically disappeared.... Fortunately, still under warranty.
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Elements healing brush :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
12-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Re scanning the roll... though the effort is appreciated