Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How am I causing this emulsion damage?

Hi, all....

I'm newly returned to film development and I've gone through a small handful of 120 film. I've noted I'm causing some sort of emulsion damage on my images, and I'm not sure how. Is it possible to do this during the dry phase of loading the film onto the reel, or is this something that happens when wet? I use a plastic reel and I often carefully split the reel so I can pull up and unwind the film when the final wash is over. Or could I be doing this when I "squeegee" the film between my index and middle finger? Any ideas would be appreciated ... it's not every frame, but enough to know I'm clearly doing something wrong. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

12-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you scratch the film during loading, that could cause damage. Also, if the developer isn't distributed evenly, that might lead to some imprefections as well. Once the film is developed I don't think squeegying will cause any damage, but I usually hang the film up to dry instead.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Squeegeeing is risky. I never squeegee with fingers or anything else - a bit of wetting agent in the final mix and the water slides off leaving no mark.
12-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Problem solved

Thanks both and I will follow your advice on squee-gee use. Hey, I found out what the issue was! I was studying the frames that showed the damage (I have others not posted here) and realized ... the damage is in the exact same spot on each frame! It looks the same as well. It's not the film, I've got a tiny scratch on the scanner glass!

This old Canon 8400F is about to be replaced by an Epson V700, so I believe my problem is solved. The other lesson learned: don't let family members scan documents with staples on the same device you plan to scan your negatives!

12-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You don't need to do that "squeegee" thing with your fingers at all. Developer not "distributed evenly"? LOL.
12-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Developer not "distributed evenly"? LOL.
What he said...only LLAL...
12-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I will add the most likely thing that comes to my mind with emulsion damage like that is grit, dirt, sand or something like that in the film transport area. I go to the sand dunes often to take shots. Changing film in the windy, sand blowing conditions gets sand everywhere. I have had similar emulsion scratches like yours but to smaller degree after visiting those sand dunes. So check your film transport area and blow it out as a first step.
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I will add the most likely thing that comes to my mind with emulsion damage like that is grit, dirt, sand or something like that in the film transport area. I go to the sand dunes often to take shots. Changing film in the windy, sand blowing conditions gets sand everywhere. I have had similar emulsion scratches like yours but to smaller degree after visiting those sand dunes. So check your film transport area and blow it out as a first step.
See above comments...the "scratch" is artifact from the scanner bed. The negative is unmarked.

Steve