Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Old Nikon Coolscan III

Hi, I have a chance to buy an old Nikon Coolscan III (AKA Nikon 30), for $55. I would be using it primarily for 35mm B&W negative films, and for archiving my old color negatives.

Any opinions on this old unit? Do you think it would serve my purposes?

Thanks!

Griz

01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Never used one but a that price it is hard not to go wrong as long as it works. It uses a SCSI interface which might more than double its cost if you have to add that interface to your computer.
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Never used one but a that price it is hard not to go wrong as long as it works. It uses a SCSI interface which might more than double its cost if you have to add that interface to your computer.
Thanks for the response Tuco. Yep, it's definitely SCSI interface....the guy is trying to locate the cable for it, and I'd imagine I'll need a card to add to my PC as well. Something to think about for sure...

Griz
01-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It is a dedicated film scanner so I'm sure it was good in its day and at 2400dpi scan you should have a respectable scan. Bear in mind scanning is not plug-n-play. You may find a year from now you do better scanning than when you first started. And it can be a lot of work at times just so you know.

01-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
It is a dedicated film scanner so I'm sure it was good in its day and at 2400dpi scan you should have a respectable scan. Bear in mind scanning is not plug-n-play. You may find a year from now you do better scanning than when you first started. And it can be a lot of work at times just so you know.
I appreciate the "heads up". Been reading up on scanning a bit, and it seems it is definitely a "process" unto itself. Don't know if this old dog is up to this much of a new trick. Sure would be nice to be able to get my old color negs archived, and also be able to share current B&W pics quicker than I can now with a wet darkroom. Lots to consider.....

Griz
01-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
It's a no-go

Well, the guy that has the scanner offered it to me for free (1.5 hour drive each way to pick it up). He couldn't locate the SCSI cables, or the drivers. After pricing the needed computer upgrade, new cables, and software, I decided to decline his kind offer. I think I'll just save my nickels, and pick up a new V500 someday down the line...

Griz
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi ya Tuco, well, I took the leap, as much as my budget would allow anyway. Picked up a Epson Perfection 3200 for $50. Didn't come with the software CD (lost), but all the cables and adapters are there. I downloaded the drivers from the Epson site last night...that was a joy, as Windows did not like their logo, and warned that it might destabilize my system....fun choice eh! Decided to take the risk, and it seems to be working. I also downloaded a free copy of CS2 from the Adobe site. Now the real fun begins...oye!

Been checking out tutorials, and my poor little excuse for a brain is spinning at about 10,000 RPM!

Griz