Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Cross post from Film pictures. Took this with my Voigtlander Perkeo 11. Kodak Ektar 100. The colours on this film are brilliant, but I have been a bit disappointed with the cameras resolution. Wonder if there is a lens misalignment.
Edit: Sent the camera back for further checking, and the slight misalignment has been corrected now. The Skopar lens has a good reputation.

Last edited by arnold; 08-10-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Additional information
07-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Arnold, Did you have the lens stopped down?

Further to my post #41, I scanned another frame from the Nettar.
This one is much better than the first one, even though the camera was the same setting. So I have to look for cause of the uneven development.
( a 3000 x 2000 jpg of the following img : https://www.box.com/s/2vvkg62b2gt3lavig368 )
Attached Images

07-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Arnold, Did you have the lens stopped down?
Yes, but on close inspection I noticed that the lens is not rotating evenly. It is as if the tread is bent. The lens 'points' a bit to the right on infinity, but seems better on closer distances. A lot of the pictures were out of focus on the left side as a result. I might go back to the Franka 9X6 Rolfix for using the rest of the 120 film.
07-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Is it the folding arms maybe?

I had quite a journey getting the old Nettar going and I have still some more issues to resolve and things to learn about.
i appreciated the advice on this forum from Nesster and Steve and the others. -that kept me going on it.

07-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it the folding arms maybe?
No, one can actually see the lens turn off axis. I have contacted the chap who serviced it as he may have some ideas.
You will find the film colours can be very vibrant with the Nettar if you try Ektar 100
07-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
if you try Ektar 100
It is on the way from B & H !
07-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, Looks like I got the infinity focus on the Franka Rolfix right. Here are a couple on Kodak Ektar 100

12-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #53
Veteran Member

The old 6x9 Nettar, Kodak Ektar 100.
I have stopped using the swizzle stick for agitation and reverted to slow inversions every 30 seconds.
I think some of my trouble earlier on this thread was that I was washing the image off the film.

This indoor photo was fortuitous, with a mix of cfl and window light,
the 1:6.3 10,5 cm lens was wide open, and the hand held shutter speed rule was well broken!
It is a crop with the colors from the scanner to preserve the feel of the lens and the film.
https://app.box.com/s/ffre4kjp79ncsayppchf
12-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old 6x9 Nettar, Kodak Ektar 100.
I have stopped using the swizzle stick for agitation and reverted to slow inversions every 30 seconds.
I think some of my trouble earlier on this thread was that I was washing the image off the film.

This indoor photo was fortuitous, with a mix of cfl and window light,
the 1:6.3 10,5 cm lens was wide open, and the hand held shutter speed rule was well broken!
It is a crop with the colors from the scanner to preserve the feel of the lens and the film.
https://app.box.com/s/ffre4kjp79ncsayppchf
You are brave doing your own developing, but you seem to have got it right on this one.. They are a lot of fun, these 9x6 folders, and they do a fine job as well.
12-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
You are brave doing your own developing, but you seem to have got it right on this one.. They are a lot of fun, these 9x6 folders, and they do a fine job as well.
My 8 yo son has been taking an interest in the darkroom so he has taken over switching the lights and calling off the timing from the vintage stopwatch.
That is tough for a little guy from -e age, it has 2 revs per minute and a little hand.
He has been learning straight and level on an M43 camera which has a Pentax 18mm with fixed ap and focus ring taped at hyperfocal.
He has been using the meter on the vintage Honeywell 3/21 spot meter too.
I think next summer he can have a try of the Nettar with its viewfinder frame - What a good camera to learn on.
12-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That would be VERY vigorous agitation!

Steve
12-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be VERY vigorous agitation!
The 5 solutions are all at 37.8 Celsius, +/- 0.8 C in my tank , for better or for worse.
Any way I just did with slow inversions @ 30 second,
11 rolls of Fuji 160, Fuji 400 and Ektar 100
and as far as I can see, the images show no top- to bottom artifacts like before.
Time will tell me more , I suppose
Here is a photo from the lens "Graflex Graftar f/4.5 103mm"
Attached Images

12-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I found swizzle stick only agitation could result in banding or uneven development. Now I split the time between swizzling and inversions, though I'm still at 1 minute intervals.
With the fixer, I have to be vigorous and thorough, as again, uneven fixing can result in strange looking film.

Here's a recent re-post process of Ultrafine Extreme in an Ensign Autorange 220, D76 1+1 development.
Attached Images

12-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #59
Pentaxian

My first 'Good' camera after the Kodak 'Hawkeye' box was a British 'Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model II with 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens -- sometimes it was not very sharp even with flash and on tripod -- I think I had a 'bad' one -- many years later i have been GIVEN two Selfix 16/20 Model I with the 75mm f4.5 'Ensar' lens and they ARE sharper than the more expensive 4 element Ross Xpres lens -- I did a 20x16" darkroom print taken on outdated Ilford Delta 400 + red filter of this one and won the Landscape, Seascape, Skyscape Trophy at my Club ( Scotland, on way to Isle of Mull)

Sorry it is a bit 'Small' -[-- was sized up for ephotozine and they rule no bigger than 500 pX but have changed now to 600 px
here is the actual 'Folder' I used --

Here is my Selfix 12/20 obtained from a Camera Club member -- the FOCUS was all out -- I took off front element and re-screwed it back using some ground glasss in the film plane and it is in focus now -- but be careful with those 'Multi-start threads!'

Here is a sample taken with the 12/20 on 2002 outdated Fuji RMS flim cross-processed at the Spalding Flower festival, f5.6 used

01-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting thread. I have a couple of folders but this one and a Wester Atlasix are in pristine condition...

No. 1 Pocket Kodak Junior, Ilford Delta 100 (expired Aug '05). Shot then developed in a similarly expired ilfotec lc29 in July 2013... I just need to get more familiar with using the finder!