Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where do you get your darkroom chemicals? (killer shipping)

I am shopping around for chemicals for the darkroom stuff I have, I would love to get the better Ilford stuff (DD-X and whatnot) but most anywhere I can get that stuff involves shipping that is literally the same cost as the item itself, especially when you get into stuff like hypam which is always huge jugs.

I may go with normal quality powdered Kodak stuff off Amazon since they actually stock some of it themselves so I can do the free shipping. Plus Kodak is WAY cheaper overall and its better to be able to afford to do it at all rather than want the best stuff and never be able to afford to do anything I suppose. Not sure what film and paper I would use then since I don't know if it would be worth spending the extra on the stuff I was looking at if I am not using the fancier developer.

I was looking at a 100 foot roll of Delta 400 and the DD-X because I am a huge fan of pictures that are stab you sharp but can't afford to get into medium format.

I am also weird in that I like to stick to a single brand system rather than mix and match and Ilford is a good choice for a one stop shop I think since they also do paper and film.

EDIT: looks like B&H combines shipping more reasonably than I expected, its about $30ish shipping for a ton of crap including I think 8 liters of fluid.

Just spent $285 with B&H, all Ilford for the chemicals and paper. That was for the hardware to develop the negatives themselves (person I got all the rest from didn't have that) and all the chemicals for both negatives and paper including stop bath. That was with the more expensive DD-X too. Got a 100 foot roll of Delta 400 and two 8x10" 25 sheet packs of the multigrade IV RC glossy paper (the version that comes with 2 bonus rolls of HP5 400 film each). I will have to learn how to work that stuff with the Kodak Polymax (or whatever) filter set I have in my purchased darkroom pile. I wasn't 100% sure on my paper choice but it seemed like a good place to start.

I'm sure there's a few more bits I forgot (they were out of the film clips I wanted so I will improvise) but I think when this pile gets here I will have everything to go from bulk spool of film to finished 8x10 print.
Considering the last time I was in a darkroom was high school I will be lucky if I don't manage to start a fire. This will be interesting to say the least.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-28-2013 at 02:25 AM.
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Film clips can be perfectly substituted by clothespins. I prefer plastic ones over wood, only because I'm worried about leaching chemistry.

Your Ilford paper should work perfectly well with the Polymax filters. I've never used DD-X; I'm usually a D-76 or Rodinal user. I like HC110 as well.

You'll need more paper very soon. Ilford makes great paper but while you're re-learning I'd give Freestyle's Arista EDU paper a shot. It's much cheaper.

Have fun! I love being in the darkroom.
02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

HC-110 and Rodinal are long self life developers. HC-110 can be mixed for a one-shot application if you want too. After you're all setup you may find you that you don't shoot film for a while since you no doubt also shoot digital. And with developers that expire from age after being mixed can sometimes have to be tossed out before it is exhausted from capacity. Something to consider is all.
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
HC-110 and Rodinal are long self life developers.
What he said.

I buy my chemicals from Freestyle. Most have to go "ground only" (no air) due to the reactive nature of the developers.

Steve

02-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think I got my DD-x from Adorama and don't remeber shipping being too high.

Lately, I have been buying them at the grocery store.
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got mine from a local shop as the prices were the same or better than paying for shipping.
03-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I got mine from a local shop as the prices were the same or better than paying for shipping.
...if they have what you need! Knight's selection is usually pretty poor (sorry Mike, but it is true) and the drive down into Portland to Citizen, Blue Moon, or Pro Photo is a pain and about the same cost for gas as shipping and their selection is not so great either.

Steve

(...is actually pretty pleased with the vintage/film camera support in the area...)

03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't venture to Portland for stuff either. I guess I got lucky with what I bought at Knight Camera as my first ever B&W processing turned out great. Beginners luck? I got only chemicals there, the other was all from Adorama. If in the future I can't find something close I'll pay S/H.