Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have never had anyone one question what it is or ask for me to pull it out for a hand inspection.

Phil.
They're too busy searching grandmas in wheelchairs.

03-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bag is like one of those bibs that your dentist makes you wear when you get your teeth x-rayed.
Cool. I have one of those foil pouches that I bought back in the mid-80s, but this item looks a lot more usable.

Steve
03-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So is there some lead foil in the bag somewhere? The item description just says nylon with extra heavy lining. So what happens when they see this opaque rectangle in your bag?

Steve
Honestly?

They turn up, and up, and up the power of the X-ray machine, and run the bag with it through several times, thereby increasing the total dosage that it'll get. Pray that the bag is sufficiently shielded.

A MUCH wiser approach is to ask for hand inspection of the film - the trick that works, even with the backwards TSA-thugs, is to say "technical photography, hand-inspection required", and keep the film in something easy to inspect, like a transparent plastic bag.

Speaking from experience....I spend more time in airports and airplanes than what's considered sane.
03-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The bag is like one of those bibs that your dentist makes you wear when you get your teeth x-rayed.

I tuck the film x-ray bag in my camera messenger bag between lenses and my film bodies. I have never had anyone one question what it is or ask for me to pull it out for a hand inspection.

Phil.
They generally recognize what it is (although, I had a TSA thug in ORD once say "what's a film camera?"), and let you though with no problems. The issue is if you're hitting several X-ray machines in a row with the same roll of undeveloped film....I've had them shadow on several occasions in the past.

If using a "run-of-the-mill film" and just subject it to a single x-ray screening or two, it'll probably be OK.

This week, my carry-on has seen 9 X-ray machines in various airports...that's not something I'd expose (pun intended) any film to without expecting shadowing...

Digital is a lot simpler on that front

(Written from the belly of a 747....)

03-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm going to take my chances on finding film there, even if I have to do without the better Portra or 400H. I mean, the greatest city in the world and I won't be able to buy decent film within a few blocks of the city centre? I can't bring myself to believe it.

It's possible I'll be able to pick up something after security in Heathrow, so that would allow me to skip all the x-ray scanners and still have film when I arrive. But it'll probably have to be Superia 400, a film I haven't used before.
03-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
They generally recognize what it is (although, I had a TSA thug in ORD once say "what's a film camera?"), and let you though with no problems. The issue is if you're hitting several X-ray machines in a row with the same roll of undeveloped film....I've had them shadow on several occasions in the past.

If using a "run-of-the-mill film" and just subject it to a single x-ray screening or two, it'll probably be OK.

This week, my carry-on has seen 9 X-ray machines in various airports...that's not something I'd expose (pun intended) any film to without expecting shadowing...

Digital is a lot simpler on that front

(Written from the belly of a 747....)
Yes hand scans are what I try to do, but it’s not always possible. If there is a language barrier or I’m running behind or if it’s really busy I’ll skip the hand scans and leave my film in the x-ray bag. If I ask for a hand scan I just give them the x-ray bag and the film is in plastic bags out of their boxes. (I asked for a hand scan once when the film was sealed in their cardboard boxes and the agent made me open all 30 boxes!)

Slower film (100 ISO or lower) is not an issue with modern airport carry-on x-rays, but never having film going through a machine is always preferred but not always possible. So I’d rather put by film in an x-ray bag if it’s going to be scanned than not.

I’ve never had any issues either way and I’ve been traveling with film since the early 1970’s.

Phil.
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes hand scans are what I try to do, but it’s not always possible. If there is a language barrier or I’m running behind or if it’s really busy I’ll skip the hand scans and leave my film in the x-ray bag. If I ask for a hand scan I just give them the x-ray bag and the film is in plastic bags out of their boxes. (I asked for a hand scan once when the film was sealed in their cardboard boxes and the agent made me open all 30 boxes!)

Slower film (100 ISO or lower) is not an issue with modern airport carry-on x-rays, but never having film going through a machine is always preferred but not always possible. So I’d rather put by film in an x-ray bag if it’s going to be scanned than not.

I’ve never had any issues either way and I’ve been traveling with film since the early 1970’s.

Phil.
Well, my experience is that if there's something they can't easily "see through", such as an X-ray bag for film they'll crank up the radiation and/or send it through multiple times, In either case, causing the films to get possibly even more radiation than having them go through once without said X-ray film bag.

So, I'd say that putting film in an X-ray bag is likely to cause it to get /more/ exposure than without.

That said, as you suggest also....typical consumer films will tolerate a pass or two through the X-ray without much visible damage at normal print-sizes.

03-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It was the cranked-up x-ray machines after 9/11 that finally moved me to buy my first digital camera. My wife and I took a long-planned trip to Europe and I didn't want the security oafs on the U.S. side to ruin any film.
04-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm back from my trip. In the end I didn't manage to find any pro colour films at all. I shot one roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 and a couple of rolls of T-Max 400. I haven't used either of those films before so I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out, though I should have gone for lower-ISO colour film.

All the electronics shops that everybody says to avoid like the plague seem to stock Kodak consumer colour films as well as good B&W (is there a bad B&W film???). Walgreens and Duane Reade have Superia 200 & 400, though the latter is expensive packs of 4 rolls of 24 exposures. I went in Willoughby's, who have no film whatsoever (and no Pentax) (and have the gall to call themselves a photography shop), 42nd St Photo, who have very little from what I saw, and J&R (where I got the T-Max), they had some Fuji colour film and a bit of B&W, though it's all on the expensive side. The T-Max was marked as 6.99, but it was where the 100-ISO was supposed to be and should have been 9.99 (!!) but they were good and gave it to me for 6.99 a roll.
04-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have never had a single problem with my films, even with the Delta 3200... (they went 4 times in their x-rays machines)

But with a grandma and films in her, you will get in trouble !
04-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The additional thing to think about is that there are x-ray machines in the Empire State building and the Top Of The Rock (Rockefeller Centre). I had no problem getting all my films manually checked in JFK, but if that had not been the case & if I had taken films with me from Madrid and into each of the buildings they would have been x-rayed a total of five times.