Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Buying film in Times Square NY??

Hi all,

I will be on holiday in NY in a couple of weeks (my first time in NY and the US) and will be taking a DSLR and a film SLR.

We'll be staying in a hotel close to Times Square. What I'd like to know is if I will be able to buy good film (ie fridge-stored Portra, 400H or Tri-X) in 35mm anywhere very close to where we'll be staying?

I'm aware of B&H and Adorama, I'll be going to B&H at some point anyway as I want one of the Pentax ltd lens cases. But if I won't be able to buy good film very close to the hotel then I'll make a bee-line for B&H (though I know my wife will complain that my anachronistic photographic preferences are dictating our holiday).

I prefer not to take film with me in order to avoid the x-ray machines.

Many thanks

03-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&H is your place, it isn't far. In Times Square itself, not much.
03-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just found out that B&H will be closed exactly the days I'm there, for passover. I'll need to get film elsewhere, but I now won't be able to get the limited lens case I wanted, which only B&H appear to stock.
03-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I just found out that B&H will be closed exactly the days I'm there, for passover. I'll need to get film elsewhere, but I now won't be able to get the limited lens case I wanted, which only B&H appear to stock.
There won't be many camera stores open period. Most are owned by Orthodox Jews...

03-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Order what you need now on line... Cameraland will probably be open, but that is not Times Square. It's around 50th St on Lexington.
03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
How about calling the hotel and making arrangements to have it shipped there from b & h and order it before Passover?
03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There won't be many camera stores open period. Most are owned by Orthodox Jews...
This will make my wife very happy indeed, though it's terrible news for me. I realise I couldn't have planned my dates for the holiday any worse...

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
How about calling the hotel and making arrangements to have it shipped there from b & h and order it before Passover?
I've sent them an inquiry and will see what they say. I am worried that if anything happens to the delivery then I won't have much recourse, especially as I won't be there for long to investigate what has happened to it. On the up side, if it works then I'll have some film ready and waiting for me when I arrive.
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I have tried that. B&H will not ship to hotels!

Steve

03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

I prefer not to take film with me in order to avoid the x-ray machines.

Many thanks
Just take all film in your carry on baggage and you’ll be fine, those x-ray machines are weak and don’t affect <ISO3200 film. I've taken 400 speed film through multiple airport xray machines and never had a problem, in fact I've not heard of anyone having a problem with those machines and film. I think it's one of those myths that wont die. Your DSLR sensor is at higher risk from cosmic rays on board the plane than your film is from the passenger xray machines.
03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe contact this processing lab, some also sell film and it looks like a good place if you want any rolls developed on your trip:

NYC Film Processing Digital C Prints Gallery Mounting

Phil.
03-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adorama are closed at exactly the same time. I might have to bite the bullet and pick up some Superia 400 from wherever. As for the case, the hotel will gladly receive the package but B&H won't ship it to a hotel.

03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another option is a film x-ray bag. I use this one in my carry-on bag and have no issues with scanners.

Security Tundra Film Security X-Ray Standard Bag 25T24S B&H

Phil.
03-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Another option is a film x-ray bag. I use this one in my carry-on bag and have no issues with scanners.

[ur://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61214-REG/Security_25T24S_Tundra_Film_Security_X_Ray.html]Security Tundra Film Security X-Ray Standard Bag 25T24S B&H[/url]

Phil.
So is there some lead foil in the bag somewhere? The item description just says nylon with extra heavy lining. So what happens when they see this opaque rectangle in your bag?

Steve
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So is there some lead foil in the bag somewhere? The item description just says nylon with extra heavy lining. So what happens when they see this opaque rectangle in your bag?
Have it with the carry-on stuff, don't put the x-ray bag inside another bag (when going through the machine), and then if they want to inspect it, they won't have to go digging through another bag. Tell them it is film, they will see that it is film, and that will be that. It's fine.
03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
The bag is like one of those bibs that your dentist makes you wear when you get your teeth x-rayed.

I tuck the film x-ray bag in my camera messenger bag between lenses and my film bodies. I have never had anyone one question what it is or ask for me to pull it out for a hand inspection.

Phil.