Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Noob question on processing and printing.

Hi

I am looking into a film camera - to get the Pentax FF i wanted.
But besides that , i am looking into manipulating my images the way I do them in photoshop...dodging and burning.

Right now, it seems that if i send my pictures to blacks, they'll process the negatives and print me a set. But that removes the creativity part of dodging and burning, correct? So i have several noob questions in regards to this whole thing...:

- When do we dodge and burn? When the negatives are processed, or only when the prints are made?
- If its only when the prints are made, does that mean that no two prints I make will look the same? Subsequent prints can have a slightly different dodge/burn?
- When sending film to a commercial company to process and print - I can't tell them to dodge/burn for me?
- Film apparently has larger dynamic range than our digital cameras...does this translate to the scanned negatives? i.e, if I asked the company to provide me the pictures on a CD...instead of printing (cost an extra 4 bucks), do I retain that large dynamic range in photoshop?
- Do they scan the slide, or do they scan the print?
- If i decide to do this on my own : - How long does it take to process a negative? (in minutes/hours) , and how long does it take to print?
- how much would it cost? to own the equipment?
- where would I buy the paper?

Thanks in advance

06-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
- When do we dodge and burn? When the negatives are processed, or only when the prints are made?

Prints. Film is developed in chemicals a closed container.

- If its only when the prints are made, does that mean that no two prints I make will look the same?

Probably not exactly the same, but possible close - with experience.

- When sending film to a commercial company to process and print - I can't tell them to dodge/burn for me?

You will have to send them a diagram with instructions or they will not know what you want. And, still, it is some trial and error even if you do it yourself.

- Do they scan the slide, or do they scan the print?

The negative.

- If i decide to do this on my own : - How long does it take to process a negative?

Preparation of the chemicals, loading film (in the dark), actual processing, film drying...an hour or two.

(in minutes/hours), and how long does it take to print?

Assuming you have a darkroom, same as above.

- how much would it cost? to own the equipment?

A hundred to several hundred if you buy used equipment. And having a darkroom...

- where would I buy the paper?

Probably online.
06-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

More questions :
I have come across instructions on how to scan negatives using dslr.
- Is it better than scanning negatives using a scanner?
- Are there high resolution film scanner? largest I have seen was 5MP.
- Will i retain the dynamic range of negatives in camera raw that I would have if I had printed and dodged and burn on paper?
06-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Thanks!

More questions :
I have come across instructions on how to scan negatives using dslr.
- Is it better than scanning negatives using a scanner?
- Are there high resolution film scanner? largest I have seen was 5MP.
- Will i retain the dynamic range of negatives in camera raw that I would have if I had printed and dodged and burn on paper?
- Scanning the negative works better

- Yes, there are high resolution film scanners, though the resolution in not expressed in megapixels. Think DPI (dots per inch) instead. My Nikon scanner is capable of 4000 dpi. With one pixel per "dot", you can do the math to get the equivalence. Be aware that the resolution for scanners is usually somewhat overstated and that final file size is no indication of quality.

- Some control over image values, contrast, and dynamic range is possible in the scanning process itself. Much more is available in post-processing using tools like Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw. As you might have determined, Lightroom is the digital equivalent of a darkroom.

- The dynamic range will be limited by the final output medium. This was also the case in the wet darkroom where we used multiple contrast grades for paper. Most monitors are somewhat deficient in this regard while the best ink-jet printers are capable of results approaching an expertly made wet print. As with a wet darkroom, good results from a hybrid film/digital workflow requires skill and experience.

Steve

06-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Different paper grade...(scratch head)

No wonder people take classes for this - the variables keeps on adding up. The nikon scanner seems to be a bit on the costly side, if the one I just spotted on amazon is correct.
>_<

Thanks for the info guys!
06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Different paper grade...(scratch head)

No wonder people take classes for this - the variables keeps on adding up. The nikon scanner seems to be a bit on the costly side, if the one I just spotted on amazon is correct.
>_<

Thanks for the info guys!
Yes, that is why people take classes, though there are also several good books available.

Yes, the Nikon scanners are very expensive. They are not made anymore and the prices went way up as a result. There are other alternatives with real-world resolution at about 3200 dpi by Plustek and Pacific Imaging (Reflecta) for quite a bit less money. See Detailed scanner test reports for unbiased tests.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-23-2013 at 08:37 PM.