Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
what happen if i shoot with the "back" of the film instead of the "front" ?

Hello,

I was wondering something today, when we put film in the camera, a side of the film is in front of the lens, the other side is in front of the back of the camera.

What will be the consequences if i reverse both sides : I expose the film by putting the side that is on the back usually instead of the side that is usually in the front ?

Am i clear ? i think i am... anyway !

Thanks everyone

06-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are clear. Shoot through the film to the emulsion on the other side rather than directly on to the emulsion. I would imagine two things:
  • Higher potential for scratches to the emulsion from the pressure plate
  • Gross underexposure (depending on film type used)
  • Degraded sharpness

Steve
06-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are clear. Shoot through the film to the emulsion on the other side rather than directly on to the emulsion. I would imagine two things:
  • Higher potential for scratches to the emulsion from the pressure plate
  • Gross underexposure (depending on film type used)
  • Degraded sharpness

Steve
Yes, that
06-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Q: What happens if I shoot on the wrong side of the film?

A: LOMOGRAPHY !!!

Chris

06-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ok, i'll give a try

thanks guys !
06-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
ok, i'll give a try
Of course--I don't know why you even asked.
06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
juste to know how much i'm gonna waist a roll of film
06-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
juste to know how much i'm gonna waist a roll of film
You might want to try this with a short roll, say 12 exposures if you roll your own.

Steve

06-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Look up red scale film and you'll see what happens.
06-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I did that on a Graflex RH/8 roll film back, , as I took 8 carefully thought out shots on the backing paper.
The darkroom is deep in the basement, but my wife still heard the 4 letter word.

The ME Super has a nice trick, too, as its film exposure indicator counts on even if no film.
One time long ago I did a 60th birthday party, all the group family shots etc, ..but with no film.
06-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Well I did that on a Graflex RH/8 roll film back, , as I took 8 carefully thought out shots on the backing paper.
The darkroom is deep in the basement, but my wife still heard the 4 letter word.

The ME Super has a nice trick, too, as its film exposure indicator counts on even if no film.
One time long ago I did a 60th birthday party, all the group family shots etc, ..but with no film.

Goodness gracious!! This MUST be one the most hilarious and yet horrible moment in your life, i believe!
07-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might want to try this with a short roll, say 12 exposures if you roll your own.

Steve
i have a bunch of kodak gold 100 for that kind of experiment i'll overexpose 1 to 3 stops to see what happened.
07-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #13

I did that once. You will indeed find more infos and examples when you google for red scale photography. It's easy to do yourself and it looks quite interesting. You need an empty film can with a rest of the old film peeking out of it, so that you can tape the cut beginning of a fresh roll to it. Then wind it into the empty can in a changing bag or in your closet at night. Cut the film off and then cut it into the right shape to feed into your camera and there you go.
All in all I wonder if screwing an orange filter in front of your lens when using colour film wouldn't even be more simple, though.
Be sure to compensate the underexposure. I think I dialed in one stop and it was still not enough.
07-01-2013, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
there is way simpler way to return the film : unroll it completely (in the dark of course), you will notice that the inner part move.
When the film is completely out, keep moving the inner part in the same direction, it will roll the film, by putting the side in the opposite direction as usual.
So no need to tape, touche the film, or anything.

i have to OE for 1 stop, considering the Kodak gold 100 gives it's best when used like a 64, i will have to play with it like a 32 iso film ?! that's slow in the world of the 12 800 iso DSLR
07-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #15

there is way simpler way to return the film : unroll it completely (in the dark of course), you will notice that the inner part move.
When the film is completely out, keep moving the inner part in the same direction, it will roll the film, by putting the side in the opposite direction as usual.
So no need to tape, touche the film, or anything.
What? This won't magically turn the film upside down/inside out...

I'd recommend a cheap ISO 400 film for the first try. Maybe waste one of your ISO 100 rolls as a canister to spool the film into it.