Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Drat, I bought a parts lens, outer elements were perfect but there is delamination of the inside elements all around the outer edge and towards the center enough to be seen from both sides. If you hold it just right from the outside the delaminated part looks like a silver mirror finish so it almost looks like someone punched a jagged lumpy hole through one of the elements (which is not the case of course) and it looks like the view through sunglasses from the back side looking through the effected areas. Its clear to someone who knows lenses but I can see how the seller could have missed it. The seller did honestly say he didn't know its condition in the auction (clearly not a photo person).

Rather than chase the person down for a refund and go through the hassle of shipping it back I decided to just keep it since it was only $15 (plus $8.75) as a parts lens.
Luckily I found one listed in new condition for $30 shipped of an identical type. Both of these say made in Japan stamped into the outer ring so no made in China as was suspected. Hopefully it will be new as described.
I already like the lens a lot though I haven't used it for developing yet, silky smooth 8 blade aperture with solid clicks and lit aperture indicator are nice, and the elements on an F2.8 vs a F4 are HUGE. Probably won't see a difference in quality from what I have now but this little toy is nifty for $30 from a convenience standpoint.
It might be totally unrelated, but I intend to buy the way overpriced Beseler heat absorbing glass just in case heat over time was the culprit in 2 out of my 3 lenses (Componon 80mm with micro bubbles was the other) having delamination issues.

EDIT: Seller issued partial refund even after I told him I would just keep it for parts so its all good now.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 12-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.
12-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
Den
Veteran Member

This brought back a lot of fond memories
12-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The heat absorbing glass is primarily to protect your negatives.
That said you should still wait for them to preheat and "pop" before focusing.

Chris