Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Scanning with multi-function printer

I do not have the resources at this time to purchase a scanner for doing photos, but do have a multi-function printer. I have a group of B&W pics I want to scan to my computer, is it possible to do it with my printer and have them come out looking descent?

12-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
I do not have the resources at this time to purchase a scanner for doing photos, but do have a multi-function printer. I have a group of B&W pics I want to scan to my computer, is it possible to do it with my printer and have them come out looking descent?
Absolutely, you should be fine. You most likely won't be able to do negatives or transparencies unless it has a light source in the hood as well as the bed. Scanning negatives is generally better but prints work too.
12-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Give your all-in-one a try and if you like the results, I guess it works.

Steve
12-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
won't be able to do negatives or transparencies unless it has a light source in the hood
The Epson Artisan I have now doesn't have this, an HP All-In-One from about 6 years ago did, but it was unbelievably bad scanning slides and negatives, even with a holder. If you can't afford a decent film scanner, buy one of the cheap ones for less than $100 and spend some time with post-processing. You won't see the paper texture like you will with prints scanned on your AIO. Once you figure out what adjustments to make, you can get images suitable for 5x7 prints. (and fine for publishing to the web, unless you intend to post to a photography forum!)

Last edited by RGlasel; 12-09-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added last point