Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I've always been a proponent of white walls and ceiling in the darkroom...

Chris

02-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nope. Don't have the $$$ to go there. I want to try B&W developing actually but anytime I see used equipment it's listed for crazy sums. The people here seldom give away darkroom stuff for some reason. I wish. Even if I got tanks and that I'd have to order chemicals online. There isn't any place that sells that stuff here. I have a hard time just getting my rolls developed. There's only one film lab in the area and the retail stores and that they've stopped doing it. I don't shoot as much film lately. It's too expensive to do it a lot, shrug.
02-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The EL Nikkor 50/2.8 is an excellent (and cheap) enlerger lens

---------- Post added 17-02-14 at 23:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There's only one film lab in the area and the retail stores and that they've stopped doing it. I don't shoot as much film lately. It's too expensive to do it a lot, shrug.
Which is why you should do it yourself, it is A LOT more economical, and not worse done
02-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Which is why you should do it yourself, it is A LOT more economical, and not worse done
Well, like I said that means ordering chemicals and stuff online. No photography supplies sold locally. I've been a bit worried about working with the chemicals too. I'm kind of sensitive because of a medical thing, but I've been reading a lot and I want to try B&W someday I think. But putting together a B&W setup isn't cheap when you're taking new and right now I need a new body for work so developing is kind of on a back burner. I have been scanning CL and that looking for cheap stuff though. So far, no luck. People here still seem to think their old film stuff is made of gold...

02-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

Question
: Picked this one up at the thrift shop for "nothing" (1€?), but has element separation issues ... anyone ever printed with a lens in this condition ... should I trash it?! I asked in the different thread, but got zero return response ... any input would be greatly appreciated ... it's a Rogadon 80/5.6 and at least the plastic container is nice.

Merci et salut, J

02-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #21
Forum Member

The EL Nikkor 50/2.8 is an excellent (and cheap) enlerger lens

---------- Post added 17-02-14 at 23:24 ----------

I've always found developing to be so much cheaper done at home, but then I try to scan and just end up having to send it out anyway. So each frame of 35mm ends up costing the best part of £1.50 without even having any prints.

Too rich for my blood/inexperienced hands!
02-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jean, your 80/5.6 Rodagon is probably excellent for 6x6/6x7 (120/220 film) negatives.

To use with 35mm negatives you would have to raise the head up higher than with a 50mm lens.
The image will likely be a bit dimmer than with your 50mm f/4 or f/2.8 EL-Nikkor lenses as well.

Chris

02-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have seen several enlarger lenses with separation issues, they are not useable. If you look through from one direction usually it looks mirrored at certain angles where its separated, and when you look through it from the other side it will look like you are looking through sunglasses in the separated areas, so it would give your photo patchy uneven exposure.

As far as focal length with 35mm I have a 50mm El-Nikkor N F2.8 that I use but I would love to find the El-Nikkor N F2.8 that was made in the oddball 63mm for less than the $200+ it always costs. It would allow a different head height for 35mm without going all the way up to the height for 80mm, which would be perfect for my Beseler 23c II due to bellows compression issues with the 50mm (well covered already in another thread).
02-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Woolcott Quote
I've always found developing to be so much cheaper done at home, but then I try to scan and just end up having to send it out anyway. So each frame of 35mm ends up costing the best part of £1.50 without even having any prints.

Too rich for my blood/inexperienced hands!
Good scanning is a difficult (and expensive) task... Which is why I don't, I print contacts and then enlarge if good enough.
Since most of the time it is 4x5 inches negs, you really know if it is any good by looking at the contacts, where with 24x36, you really dunno know much and after 30 minutes you realize nothing was in focus ...

---------- Post added 19-02-14 at 07:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well, like I said that means ordering chemicals and stuff online. No photography supplies sold locally. I've been a bit worried about working with the chemicals too. I'm kind of sensitive because of a medical thing, but I've been reading a lot and I want to try B&W someday I think. But putting together a B&W setup isn't cheap when you're taking new and right now I need a new body for work so developing is kind of on a back burner. I have been scanning CL and that looking for cheap stuff though. So far, no luck. People here still seem to think their old film stuff is made of gold...
I understand that.
As for trying (if you try one day), a stock of old but unused chemical is good enough.
At school we still have quite a number of old bottles of Rodinal, not made for years AFAIK (under that name I mean). I can say this old chemical works just fine
Maybe you'll find somewhere someone willing to part with his/her stuff for a cent or two. Ideally with some rest of chemicals. Then you're started.

As for you fear of chemicals, which is nothing but good, it is OK when applying basic precautions AND good ventilation in the room.
Typically the fixer is pain in the nose Stop can be too. Some stops are marketed as being mostly odourless.
I dunno about mostly odourless fixers... (I'd be interested btw).
02-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I have seen several enlarger lenses with separation issues, they are not useable. If you look through from one direction usually it looks mirrored at certain angles where its separated, and when you look through it from the other side it will look like you are looking through sunglasses in the separated areas, so it would give your photo patchy uneven exposure. ...
Thanks PPPPPP42,

My thrift shop 85mm is like what you described (sunglasses, exactly) and here's maybe another image (which is not much better, but one can see the dark "sun-glassed" area and a line that runs across the front elements to more separation on the other side).

Shame that it is not usable, and I was afraid (read almost sure) that the separation issues would lead to uneven exposures, etc. Oh well, I will stock in away someplace else and keep the presentation/storage box it came in for my Rodagon 50/5.6 ... thanks again.

Salut, J

02-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #26
Forum Member

Good scanning is a difficult (and expensive) task... Which is why I don't, I print contacts and then enlarge if good enough.
Since most of the time it is 4x5 inches negs, you really know if it is any good by looking at the contacts, where with 24x36, you really dunno know much and after 30 minutes you realize nothing was in focus ... [COLOR="Silver"]
I don't think it helps that digital is at such a point where the convenience and ease of access to high quality output starts becoming too much of a lure. It's just a shame that the experience isn't quite the same. I'm just addicted to the feel of a film winder going between shots.

One day when I'm not slogging away on a student budget I will have to indulge myself and get a 4x5 and a decent flatbed scanner. One day.
02-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Jean, your 80/5.6 Rodagon is probably excellent for 6x6/6x7 (120/220 film) negatives.

To use with 35mm negatives you would have to raise the head up higher than with a 50mm lens.
The image will likely be a bit dimmer than with your 50mm f/4 or f/2.8 EL-Nikkor lenses as well.

Chris
Merci Chris,

Thanks for your input. If the 80/5.6 was good, I was planning to use it on the DURST M 601, since it goes to 60mm x 60mm ("Sivoneg" carrier) ... Too bad for that 80mm ... maybe another one will come along.

Salut, J
02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci Chris,

Thanks for your input. If the 80/5.6 was good, I was planning to use it on the DURST M 601, since it goes to 60mm x 60mm ("Sivoneg" carrier) ... Too bad for that 80mm ... maybe another one will come along.

Salut, J
I don't think it helps that digital is at such a point where the convenience and ease of access to high quality output starts becoming too much of a lure. It's just a shame that the experience isn't quite the same. I'm just addicted to the feel of a film winder going between shots. One day when I'm not slogging away on a student budget I will have to indulge myself and get a 4x5 and a decent flatbed scanner. One day.

It will. It's not as if that kind of lenses were expensive...
They're quite common.
02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Pentaxian

It will. It's not as if that kind of lenses were expensive...
They're quite common.
Merci thibs ... Poitiers' swap meet in at the beginning of April, so maybe I'll find one there ... on verra et salut, J
02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I don't think it helps that digital is at such a point where the convenience and ease of access to high quality output starts becoming too much of a lure. It's just a shame that the experience isn't quite the same. I'm just addicted to the feel of a film winder going between shots.
I know that sound. And I even prefer that sound in company of the mechanical shutter sound

One day when I'm not slogging away on a student budget I will have to indulge myself and get a 4x5 and a decent flatbed scanner. One day.
Beware, once there, no coming back
Shooting with a view camera is nowhere near shooting with an SLR.
One need to do it at least one time in a life.

But heck the film is expensive...