Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Separating elements? - Rodenstock Rodagon 80/5.6

Bonjour, (x-post)

Got a question ... I found a Rodagon 80/5.6 at my thrift shop for 2€ (believe it or not), but I fear that the elements may have separated [see weird shadow shapes towards the front element(s)] ... ? Plus there's kind of a semi-circle eclipse type shadow with the edge of the rear element ... Never seen this before ...

I am a real novice here, thus the solicitation of your expertise ... what do you think? Any effect on the image and/or worth repairing ... I am trying to set up a wet darkroom as a 2014 goal, thus my interest in possibly keeping this lens ... or just passing it along (trading it) to someone else ...

Thanks in advance for your input. Salut, J

01-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Nikkor N 50mm F2.8 that is doing the same thing all the way around on the outside, pretty sure it is indeed 2 of the elements separating, it doesn't transmit light through those areas correctly (looks almost like sunglasses) so I just bought a new (used) lens. I also have an 80mm that has a different sort of seperation, looks like micro bubbles.

If there is a way to fix it, it is likely not economical. Enlarger lenses are super cheap on ebay.

Also make sure you need an 80mm lens, normally they are used for medium format whereas 35mm uses a 50mm enlarging lens.
01-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I have a Nikkor N 50mm F2.8 that is doing the same thing all the way around on the outside ... Also make sure you need an 80mm lens, normally they are used for medium format whereas 35mm uses a 50mm enlarging lens.
Merci PPPPPP42,

Yeah, I know that the 80 was "big" and have already scouted some other smaller lens sources in a few UK B&M shops, which are a god deal ... plus the first week of April is our local photo club's expo & swap meet, so chances are I'll find something there as well ... thanks again for your input & advice, J