Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blue Negatives?

So I got a roll of Velvia 100F DX and ran it through my ZX-L... brought it along with some other rolls to Walgreen's for processing and it came back as "Un-scanable. Too Dark." They gave my the negatives back and the have a deep blue tint to them. That said the photos are easily visible and not at all too dark.

Any idea as to what happened or if these pictures are salvageable? Thanks!

01-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you posted photos they do not show. If not, you should. The negative and the photo from it.
01-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll get some pictures of the negatives... the processor wouldn't scan them so I have no prints.
01-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

Chances are Walgreen's ruined them. Either that, or the film was bad before you put it in the camera. I'd suggest staying away from discount places for film processing.

01-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm guessing you mean the slides rather than the negatives, but then I'm also wondering if Walgreens knows that. I wasn't even aware that they still processed E-6 film. Perhaps they tried to process your slides in C-41 chemistry?
01-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
EXACTLY what happened! Thanks! I just looked at the film. I haven't shot film since I was 12yo, so I wasn't aware of different color processing chemistry. I knew B&W was different but now I'll look out for each roll of film.

Anyone know of a good lab here in Texas that can process E-6 film?
01-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's hear it for Walgreens. They really should not have even attempted to process your slides, they should have just returned them to you with an explanation, or at least called you to confirm that you really wanted them processed with C-41 chemistry.

I'm not sure about in Texas, but I use Denver Digital Imaging Center for my E-6. They're fast, even by mail, and they do great work at a great price when you consider. But they do have a minimum order, so it's best to send them a few rolls at a time. There's also Dwayne's in Parsons, KS.

01-29-2014, 02:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can still buy the E6 chemistry. It is fairly simple to use. You just have to be carefull with the temperature.
01-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texaspentaxeon Quote
So I got a roll of Velvia 100F DX and ran it through my ZX-L... brought it along with some other rolls to Walgreen's for processing and it came back as "Un-scanable. Too Dark." They gave my the negatives back and the have a deep blue tint to them. That said the photos are easily visible and not at all too dark.

Any idea as to what happened or if these pictures are salvageable? Thanks!
That happened to me once. The store processed the film using the C-41 chemicals (for colour negative film) instead of E-6 for Fujichrome/Ektachrome. Sounds like Walgreens made a mistake. They owe you the money you paid for processing, at the very least, since the film is not salvageable.
01-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Also, doesn't cross-processing contaminate the chemicals?

I can't remember which way it is though, if it's E6 in C41, or C41 in E6?