Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Film Scanning in Sydney

This is a question to all Australians in the forum, particularly those from Sydney.

I have a cache of about 400 odd rolls of colour 35mm negatives I want to convert into high resolution TIF files. Many places will do JPGs or stadard resolution but I want something higher quality. Google has not been my friend in this.

I don't want to buy a scanner as once this batch is done, that will be the end as I've decided not to work in film any more.

Any suggestions - I'm not really keen to mail my prized collection away if I can avoid it but any suggestion is welcomed.

Tony

03-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think your expectations are too high from Sydney or Australia in general. For service like that you will pay 10 x more than a scanner. I'm sure you know the labour rates around here.
I think one of the cheapest places is here, you can pay per hour etc and do the scanning by yourself:
Scanner Hire - Silverpixel Sydney

Before you even decide to scan, I would find the keepers and scan that, instead of scanning every single photo, no matter how bad it is. It should help keep the costs down.
03-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oscans - Scanning and Preserving All Photo Media is located in the CBD.

I recently had the negatives from my wedding scanned and they supplied TIFFs straight out of the scanner, "optimised" TIFFs" and "optimised" jpegs of each image.

It's not cheap but cheap and quality are probably mutually exclusive when it comes to scanning services.

Otto, the owner is very happy to chat on the phone about your requirements and will do some samples for you free of charge.