Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Film Duplicator

Item number 4...is anybody else as excited about the prospect of this product as I am?!

Ricoh promises 'reference products' including CMOS 645D at CP+: Digital Photography Review

02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Item number 4...is anybody else as excited about the prospect of this product as I am?!

Ricoh promises 'reference products' including CMOS 645D at CP+: Digital Photography Review
I would say let's wait and see about the quality. A proper scanner would probably be higher quality, but this solution would be very quick.
I would get it if it had a better image quality from a medium format slide than from an APS-C dslr. That would make it worthwhile for me to invest in one of those old 6x4.5 bodies.
02-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I would say let's wait and see about the quality. A proper scanner would probably be higher quality, but this solution would be very quick.
I would get it if it had a better image quality from a medium format slide than from an APS-C dslr. That would make it worthwhile for me to invest in one of those old 6x4.5 bodies.
It supposed to work for medium format too, the flatbed scanners shouldn't be that hard to beat. The dedicated 35mm scanners (3000-400ppi real resolution) will be harder to crack.
02-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ricoh being a image processor company (Copier, fax ,etc) this make a lot of sense . They have a huge advantage because they already have all the technology

02-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #5

I am quite keen to know how well it will work. I have been trying out a Opteka Digital Duplicator, which works OK if the film isn't warped in the slide frame. Most of them are warped unfortunately, which makes it hard to get the whole film frame in focus and sharp. Focus stacking was going to be my ultimate fall-back.
02-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd love one, and if priced well will get two, one for me and one for my daughter.
02-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VERY excited

I would LOVE one! I have had reasonable success shooting negatives with a macro lens and a lightbox. I have also played around with the 70's era "slide copier" attachments.

This device would provide two HUGE benefits. It would be tuned to cover the APS-C sensor in our cameras (the old slide copiers were for full-frame 35mm, and therefore they project an image which is TOO LARGE for the camera sensor, resulting in cropped slides.) It will support medium format as well as 35mm film. This is brand new, not previously available on such a device.

There are a dearth of options for scanning medium format. They are either mediocre quality (flatbed) or exorbitantly priced (an old Nikon 9000 or new Plustek 120 scanner are a couple thousand dollars.)

A reasonably sharp and flat 16mp shot of my negatives would be very welcome and allow quite good sized prints. Especially handy for doing multiple-exposure or HDR scans too.

02-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OMG Want! Consider me in!
02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

Looking forward to this! Let's hope the price isn't too high.
02-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I, like many others, have jerry-rigged a DSLR scanning setup with passable results. But I'm no MacGyver, and it's pretty rickety. So the prospect of a Pentax-specific setup is a (small) dream come true. I'm nervous about the price, as they're showing it with the new 645D...
02-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Now wouldn't it be a shame if it turned out to be 645D compatible only.... nah, can't be...
02-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Now wouldn't it be a shame if it turned out to be 645D compatible only.... nah, can't be...
I've heard tale of an image circulating that shows it being used with a K3 .

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 12:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I think time and money are the two venues where this beats dedicated scanners. You get 80% of the quality and save lots of time and money. I guess we'll have to wait and see price wise.
02-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Ricoh being a image processor company (Copier, fax ,etc) this make a lot of sense . They have a huge advantage because they already have all the technology
This. They already have a large stable of available technology to apply to something like this. The R&D was largely already done over other projects.
02-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very cool. anybody have a ballpark guess on price?
02-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
very cool. anybody have a ballpark guess on price?
Whatever my guess was, it tripled after I saw the picture of it with the new 645D attached!