Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Bands in my scanned negative

I've noticed vertical bands when i scanned some negatives on my friends plustek 7200.
See below, about a third from the right side of the image.
What causes that? I dont see anything on the negative itself.

Thanks in advance

02-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There seems to be some discoloration on it too, so it might actually be the film. Try flipping it around in your scanned and see if the band gets flipped as well- that should help us identify the culprit

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you scanning BW film in color mode? Why is it green in the middle. Try converting it to a grayscale and see if you notice the bands.
02-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have seen similar bands with my Nikon Coolscan scanner. On that unit they seem to be related to edge of the scan frame vs. edge of the image frame.

Steve

02-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My dedicated 35mm scanner is a Canoscan FS 4000 US and because of its lack of,or insufficient shielding, I get similar bands if it is operated
too close to any source of electro-magnetic radiation. This was a well known and well documented fact with this scanner. When I'm scanning
with it I just move it well away from any speakers, printers,scanners, monitors or other computer peripherals and the problem disappears.
Your scanner could be having a similar issue.
Glenn
02-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
My dedicated 35mm scanner is a Canoscan FS 4000 US and because of its lack of,or insufficient shielding, I get similar bands if it is operated
too close to any source of electro-magnetic radiation. This was a well known and well documented fact with this scanner. When I'm scanning
with it I just move it well away from any speakers, printers,scanners, monitors or other computer peripherals and the problem disappears.
Glenn
Never thought of that! I guess having my 4490 sitting on the desk next to my bottom mounted 850w power supply for my PC could be the culprit.... good to know that it may not be broken!
02-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Glenn
Thanks for posting this.

Steve