Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Scanning issues

Hi all,

I recently got some scans back from a local photo shop and there's what I can only describe as ghosting around some of the higher contrast outlines. I've had a look at the negatives on a lightbox (admittedly without a proper loupe) and as far as I can tell there's no sign of them on the film. Am I right in thinking this is a problem with the scanning process? I've included an example here, taken at f16, 1/250 shutter speed on Ilford HP5 (in date), the ghosting is most evident around the outstretched hand and the wooden wall behind it.

Any help much appreciated,

Ben

03-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some kind of automatic batch processing like Perfectly Clear? Poorly applied PP, or an inappropriate PS plug-in?

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like something digitally induced, not optical.
03-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The density streaking ( most noticeable in the sky) is also another problem. That is caused by a poor agitation profile.
03-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the prompt response folks, I'll pop back into the shop next time I'm passing and see if they'll re-scan them for me.

03-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like artifacts caused by using digital ICE on true black and white film. What did you use to scan and is ICE turned off?
03-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
The scan was done by a local shop (who also developed the film) so I'm not really sure what equipment or software was used for the scan I'm afraid.
03-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also can't tell since the EXIF is blank which is typical for some scanners. Minilab scanners - like Noritsu and Frontier, usually are identified in the EXIF. You will have to verify this with the shop you used and I would suspect they used a desktop scanner with ICE enabled. The infrared used in ICE is not useful for true black and white film as I understand the silver interferes with it. There is no ICE on any scanner that works with true black and white film.

03-03-2014, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a scanner set on auto while the operator traded selfies with his girlfriend.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is no ICE on any scanner that works with true black and white film.
...though the results typically look a LOT worse than that. At least they do on the scanners I own.

Steve