Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Metal and developers is generally not a good combination. Plastic is OK if the length of storage is in the weeks range, not many months. Thicker-walled plastic (e.g. Nalgene bottles) is better, but then you can't squeeze to reduce the air content. Also, some developers (D-23) keep better than others (D-76). As mentioned above, the developer concentrates (Kodak HC-110. Adox Adonal [replaces discontinued Agfa Rodinal]) are excellent keepers even in plastic bottles, but it is important to have accurate measures for dilution to the working strength, and the diluted solutions don't keep.

03-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing is ever easy here! IIRC developer used to come in metal tins.
Modern mason jar metal lids are coated and have silicone seals.
Further once filled there will be a small air gap between liquid and lid.
And if stored in total darkness what difference does clear glass make?

The smallest Walmart peroxide is 1 pint, and now has a suspect flip-top cap.
Mason jars may not be ideal, but they are cheap and readily available.

Unless you can lay your hands on some brown glass "Boston rounds" with phenolic caps...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-11-2014 at 02:29 PM.
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I stock 250ml and 500ml amber bottles for my main (go-to) developer and 1000ml brown plastic photo bottles for my fixers ( two stage fixing for T-Max films). I use PMK Pyro developer which has a 10-year shelf life and is a one-shot developer. I never have to worry about exhausted developer again or consistency issues with developers that you need to adjust time with the number of rolls you have processed. I also stock HC110 and that too is a long shelf life developer and you can mix it up one-shot or small volumes.

If you go long periods between shooting BW film, one-shot, long shelf life developers are the way to go. They can be both less wasteful (no tossing developer due to age) and be more consistent.

My DIY Film develper

03-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Would the metal interact with the developer in a bad way?
When dealing with corrosive substances there is always possibility of reaction with metal components, however this is only an issue if the corrosive substance is in constant contact with the metal.

03-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #20

Awesome machine Tuco. Love the logo.

There are the bottles I use.
03-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Awesome machine Tuco. Love the logo.
Thanks. It really makes developing film consistent and less of a burden.
03-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Unless you can lay your hands on some brown glass "Boston rounds" with phenolic caps...
Thanks for the reminder (smacks head...Doh!). I have a stock of 8oz amber "Boston Rounds" (with caps) that I purchased a few years ago from Specialty Bottle in Seattle (http://www.specialtybottle.com). They were $0.86 per bottle at the time, though I believe the price is a little more now. Aliquot your freshly made D-76 developer into the 8oz bottles and use as needed to prepare 1+1 single use working solution. They have larger volume bottles too.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-13-2014 at 10:44 PM.