Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Chemical storage options

What is the best way to store freshly mixed developer? I was originally thinking of the Delta 1 Datatainer jugs but I'd like to be able to get something local at Target or Walmart - maybe even for less.

Amber glass jugs sound appealing to me because I always have a fear that plastic jugs will leach into the chemical.

Obviously my chemicals in this case are developer and fixer.

03-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
my chemicals in this case are developer and fixer.
Amber glass jugs should be fine - the important part is that they should have airtight seals on the caps, something that is easier to do with plastic containers due to their flexibility. Personally I haven't really heard of any major catastrophes involving the use of plastic jugs realistically they should be fine. Glass does carry the additional risk of shattering when broken.

I use thick Black glass flasks for the purified platinum emulsion I work with. The emulsion has to be kept away from ultraviolet light and isolated from the atmosphere due to violently explosive compounds that can precipitate in the combined parts of the emulsion. Initially I keep the parts separate as a two part accelerator/restrainer combination but the mixed parts have to be stored carefully.
03-02-2014, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #3

If you go through the chems quickly plastic is fine. I use green and brown glass bottles because I'm not shooting as much as I used to. The top seals and I drop in marbles to get rid of the air. I did this because my R09 crystalized.

Wine bottles work. I'm using my dads old lager bottles.
03-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wine bottles! Excellent idea!!

03-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wine bottles! Excellent idea!!
...if one really needs a reason to get hammered at night.
03-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
If you go through the chems quickly plastic is fine.
If not, consider using HC110 or Rodinal concentrated film developers.
These have a very long shelf-life. The syrup can be mixed as needed.

Chris
03-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If not, consider using HC110 or Rodinal concentrated film developers.
These have a very long shelf-life. The syrup can be mixed as needed.
This is the suggestion I would make as well. If you are running a couple of rolls a week, you can make good use of a gallon of D76. If not, mixing fresh from concentrate is my preferable.

Steve

03-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

My R09 had a bunch of crystals and crust in it after 5 months of non use. Was kept in the plastic bottle it came it. Just a heads up to use glass and/or get rid of the extra air in the bottle.
03-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was at my local Walmart and I saw a 12 pack of 8 ounce jars for jelly making by Kerr. Could I mix my stock solution and then, after it has cooled, pour it into these little jars? When I'm ready to develop I grab one of these 8 ounce jars and dilute with another 8 ounces of water.
03-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dark colored glass is preferred as it is said to help prevent oxidation.
If stored in total darkness clear glass should be fine, so why not?

Chris
03-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not know if you know someone that works in a laboratory (of any kind). The chemicals we use alwasy come in brown amber bottles, which after they are empty are thrown away. Maybe they could then take a couple for you. As I work myself in a lab, I have taken those bottles to store the chemicals in it. it works perfect. Only downside is they are a lot heavier that the plastic bottles, but on the postive, they are much better for the chemicals. and as they are amber no need to store in complete darkness.
03-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My workplace does use chemicals but they come in large metal tins, similar to paint cans.

I am still thinking of using the little 8 ounce glass jelly making jars. The jars would be stored in a sealed, locking bin of some sort to protect against leaking fluids. If something should happen to the glass or lids then I'd rather leak into the bin than onto my floors.
03-11-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I am still thinking of using the little 8 ounce glass jelly making jars.
Clear with metal lids? I don't think that's a good idea. Perhaps just go buy several 500ml bottles of Peroxide at the drug store. They typically come in brown plastic bottles, priced about the same with Peroxide in them as photo storage bottles are empty and you can squeeze the air out of them to reduce oxidation. Just wash them well before use.
03-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the lids are metallic. Here's an image from a random Google Image Search:

Would the metal interact with the developer in a bad way?

Excellent idea on squeezing a plastic bottle to push the air out! Much easier than dropping marbles into a bottle/jar.
03-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Would the metal interact with the developer in a bad way?
Possible UV reaction with clear bottle, Rust/corrosion with metal lid and harder to pour into a developing tank with that "big mouth".