Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reproducing Wet Prints

Ok, so I got some exciting news today-- a German Brewery is wanting to use one of my images for a magazine ad.

The trouble is-- It was a shot I took accidentally-- the shutter button on the MX is so sensitive that I hit it without even knowing, metering, etc. So it's pretty badly over-exposed (thankfully in focus! I was focused to they hyperfocal, and the lens was at f/8) I doubt my scanner, or most consumer scanners can punch through the density to get the subtle highlight detail. It took some real darkroom shenanigans to get it printed... Pre flashed, and a decent amount of dodging and burning. For sharing my wet prints, my current process has been to put prints on my copy stand, and snap a quick photo. These usually work for about 800 pixel wide images for sharing.

Anyways-- given the struggles I had in the darkroom, and the density of the negative-- should I send it out for a quality drum scan, hoping to keep as much highlight detail, or should I have a quality scan done of a finished print?

They need it in a digital form, TIFF, and about 1600 px wide. I think it will be reproduced at about 5-6" wide.

Any thoughts or tips?

I'll try to post the image in a bit.

03-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

IMO if you worked a lot to obtain a decent print and the print itself looks good, it's in good shape and it is large enough - you probably got better results by scanning it than scaning the raw negative and recreate the whole process in post (digital) again... Of course this depends also on what kind of negative you were using and how much detail/noise you can see on it.

Drum scanners and scanning the negative usually are the better solution specially if you have to enlarge - but if you modified the print in darkroom that much, than perhaps scanning the print worth a try ...
03-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll give it a go. Even boosting the gain on my 4490 doesn't give much detail... As a quick test, I put it on my copy stand and took a quick snap. So far it looks better than both the negative scan and the print scan. Not quite as much shadow detail, but it should be easy to combine 2 exposures to bring out the shadows and highlights.

Given that it's gonig to be a 'reduction' from my original print size, I'm thinking that a good scan or the technique I'm using will give a good enough file for their purposes.
03-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Ok, so I got some exciting news today-- a German Brewery is wanting to use one of my images for a magazine ad.
So, tell us, how did the German brewing mag come to covet the image?

03-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
So, tell us, how did the German brewing mag come to covet the image?
Giving away a couple prints, which ended up being seen by the brewery, I guess.

I sent a copy of the print to my friend, the subject. He showed it to his friend, who really liked it, asked who took it, and who to talk to about using it. Turns out that guy is in the family that runs the brewery in Germany.
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great story. I love how stuff like this happens.
03-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

In case you guys are wondering, I put my work print on a copy stand and took a quick snap. Looks like starting from the print will be the easiest, though I do need to reprint at 8x10 (I gave away my finished print of this)and try to even out the burning of the horizon-- didn't notice until a couple minutes ago, but the left end is definitely darker than the right end: