Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Temperature control of chemicals

I will be mixing my D-76 developer soon and storing it in wine bottles. When I am ready to extract some solution for 1:1 diluting I was wondering how people control the temperature of their water. I know it's easy to go nuts with this. Do you just run the tap with a thermometer until you hit 68F? Do you fill up a tub with a small aquarium heater? My tap water is cold and hard (pH of 8 - lots of minerals, I think).

Thanks!

03-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can use developers at different temps. Adjust the times accordingly.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j78/j78.pdf
03-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume you are working in a normally heated/cooled home darkroom.

Do not use chemistry mixed from powder immediately.
It's best to wait a day before use to be sure everything has gone into solution.

Your previously mixed stock solution will be at room temperature.
Add water at room temperature and adjust development time accordingly.

Chris
03-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You can also get a small beverage cooler and fill it up with water at the correct temperature. Put your developing tank in it between agitations to help maintain a constant temperature during development. You'd perhaps do this if your house is really hot in the summer or on the cold side in the winter; otherwise, it's not really needed.

03-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Do you just run the tap with a thermometer until you hit 68F?
Yep, if I am diluting from concentrate. If the developer is already made up and the bottles have been sitting at room temperature (70F), I just measure the actual temperature and adjust the development times accordingly. There is a time/temp chart at digitaltruth.com to guide you.

B&W Film Developing Times | The Massive Dev Chart

Steve
03-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome replies! Thanks for the help! As usual, I was over-thinking the problem.
03-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the occasional roll of 35mm film lately I've been using distilled water to mix developer and fixer.
It's not expensive at Walmart, and the day after I bring it home the plastic jugs are at room temperature.
For stop, rinse and wetting agent I use plain old New York City tap water.

Chris

03-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine and I do B&W developing and measure temps with this device:
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Commercial-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=pd_ybh_2

We put the chemicals into a stainless steel pitcher that we can put into a warm bath or in some ice to modify the temperatures.

I think that during the processing step, you can put the thermometer inside the tank to check temps. The Paterson tank I have allows a straight probe to reach down to the bottom. Most of my processing times are short (7-19 minutes) so there's not a lot of time for drift.