Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dry Mounting??

I've printed a few 13 x 19 images with my Canon PRO - 100. Gorgeous! Time to mount and frame. Back in the day I used a dry mount press for fiber silver-gelatin prints with great success.

I discovered a local source for a used Seal press at a very good price. It has a thermostat allowing settings from 180F up. Of course I'd have to get a tacking iron, etc.

What's the current thought on dry mounting RC paper and or ink jet paper? Is it still a viable method? I realize that such mounting wouldn't satisfy conservation standards, but I doubt many museums would covet my work!

03-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another option is "Grafix double tack mounting film." Strip covering sheet of one side and apply to the photo back, then cut excess, and strip remaining cover sheet and apply to board. Comes in 18"x24" sheets (Utrecht is my source). Clean, about $4 per sheet.

I tried (1) spray adhesive once, (2) then Bainbridge studioTac (which is pretty good--but occasionally results in a "grain" of adhesive that ruins the photos), and (3) finally settled on Grafix double tack. I mount maybe 100 a year--mostly 8"x11" about, sometimes 2ftx3ft. Smaller size it's easy--should be fine w/ 13"x19".

P.S., if it was good enough for Ansel Adams ...! I find handling photos--if they are mounted on a board--makes a big difference.

BTW if you find out more about using a heated press w/ inkjet prints (outside of this thread) it would be nice to hear about it in a subsequent post.

Last edited by dms; 03-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
What's the current thought on dry mounting RC paper and or ink jet paper?
Google is our friend. I used "dry mount ink jet prints" as a search term and found what I think you are looking for.

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I realize that such mounting wouldn't satisfy conservation standards
That is news to me. Dry mount on 100% rag museum board is generally considered to be archival and was the method preferred by Ansel Adams.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-12-2014 at 08:12 PM.
03-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Another option is "Grafix double tack mounting film." Strip covering sheet of one side and apply to the photo back, then cut excess, and strip remaining cover sheet and apply to board. Comes in 18"x24" sheets (Utrecht is my source). Clean, about $4 per sheet.

I tried (1) spray adhesive once, (2) then Bainbridge studioTac (which is pretty good--but occasionally results in a "grain" of adhesive that ruins the photos), and (3) finally settled on Grafix double tack. I mount maybe 100 a year--mostly 8"x11" about, sometimes 2ftx3ft. Smaller size it's easy--should be fine w/ 13"x19".

P.S., if it was good enough for Ansel Adams ...! I find handling photos--if they are mounted on a board--makes a big difference.

BTW if you find out more about using a heated press w/ inkjet prints (outside of this thread) it would be nice to hear about it in a subsequent post.
I've dry mounted many modern method prints. Gotta be careful with the tack iron. It's easy to put marks/dents on the print. It's a great way to mount them though. I like to leave some space between the edge of my print and the overmat. Dry mounting looks best for this application in my opinion. If you are covering the edges of the print with the overmat, then lots of other methods might work nicely as well.

03-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dry Mounting????

Thanks to all for the posts. I, too, tried spray mounting once or twice. IIRC both surfaces had to be sprayed which unless you were doing a bleed mount made the job really fussy, since any overspray on the mount board looked bad. I've discovered that there are foam core boards made by Bainbridge and others with heat activated adhesive. This might be the best solution. No tacking iron, apparently just position the print on the board, cover with a cover sheet (what else?) and press.

I'll get the press Saturday, along with a complete Retina IIIc kit. Some things just can't be passed up! I'll work up a report.
03-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been playing with the Seal press, its a "Jumbo 150". As an experiment I sandwiched a scrap inkjet glossy print in copy paper and "baked" it with a release sheet in the press at 180 and then at 200 + for 10 minutes or so. No apparent damage.

Now to find some mount tissue. The a local source, Showcase, wants waaaay too much. On to Adorama or B & H or Freestyle.