Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #1

Help With Removing Dust and Scratches From Scans.

HI there, i recently scanned in some negatives and some of them seem to have loads of dust and scratches on them. I've tried to clean them up as best as possible before scanning but they're still pretty bad.

Was just wondering i any of you guys know of any tricks or tips for removing some of this either in post production or with scanning software. At the minute i am only using the epsom software.

Here are a few examples:

Attached Images

03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you have Lightroom or Photoshop you can use the spot healing tool....Epson scan software wont do the job nor did I find Silverfast worked well either. Did you develop these? These look like the typical developed at costco, rite aid, walgreens etc. type of finished product. if you don't develop your own, pay the extra cost of sending them to a good lab for developing. It will save you a lot of time and trouble. If you have a decent scanner I wouldn't pay the extra to have them put them on disk for you.
03-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
They're from a pretty expensive and revered lab near me in London and the prints i got back with them were excellent, so I'm quite surprised about the quality of the negatives. I think i'm going to get light room because I've been looking at getting it for a while. Thanks
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adobe has removed the page with the "free" CS2 download unfortunately to people sans an Adobe ID or I'd tell you to go there. :P GIMP, which is freeware also has a clone tool. That's what you need for this kind of work.

03-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the Epson software have Digital ICE? If so, try it at the least powerful setting at first. It can soften images, but it can also save you hours. If not, try VueScan with infrared cleaning function activated. Retouching each image using software will take a lot of time.

M
03-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Adobe has removed the page with the "free" CS2 download unfortunately to people sans an Adobe ID or I'd tell you to go there. :P GIMP, which is freeware also has a clone tool. That's what you need for this kind of work.
Try this link for the free Adobe Photoshop CS2, it still works. I just tried it.

Now downloading: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Free - TechSpot
03-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Digital ICE only works on C41 since it needs to use IR to get past the dust/scratches.

When I scan, I use a microfiber cloth that I pass over the negatives to sweep as much dust off as possible. I also take care to wipe down the working area with a cleaner - I use 409 and a wet cloth to clear the tabletop. I also use a can of compressed air to pass over the scanner glass and negatives once they are in the holder as a final step before I scan. These have all helped to eliminate as much dust as possible before the digital step.

Lastly, I upgraded my Lightroom from version 3 to version 5 just so that I could get the healing brush that allowed non-round shapes like squiggles of fiber or scratches. That, plus the way it handles the temporary files has been a boon to working on them in post.

03-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Does the Epson software have Digital ICE?
It depends on which scanner since Digital ICE is a hardware feature. The V700 and V750 both have it. I am not sure about the other models. As noted above, Digital ICE does not work for silver-based B&W images. With those, dust and scratches are a real pain, just like when doing optical enlargements for wet printing.

Steve
03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Both Lightroom and PS will make short work of these issues, as I'm sure many other brands of PP software will too.
03-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
mva

Wow! Excessive much?

I get my 35mm film processed at Walgreens and they are always nice and clear. Few scratches, if any at all. Maybe 120 film is more difficult to handle. I always scan at 48-bit 6400 dpi, make necessary repairs with Photoshop Elements, then resize the Tiff to 4800x3600.
03-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In these cases... clone tool / spot healing tool / brush tool ... are your best friends .
03-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

For large areas of smooth tone (skies etc) I often select the area and apply Photoshop's Dust and Scratch removal, carefully checking the preview until I have just the right settings. (I used to use the free Polaroid Dust and Scratch tool, but PS's has improved a lot - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same underlying technology.) In any case, never use this tool on areas with high-contrast edges, as it will degrade them. For those parts, I use the spot healing or clone tools, as suggested above.

By the way, it looks like some of the dust in the first two images might be on the scanner rather than the film - there are some identical pieces there.
03-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I recommend that you get some PEC-12 and PEC pads to clean emulsions before scanning. Also, keep your scanner platen clean. This dramatically cuts down on your time spent cloning. This is all dust, not scratches so you didn't clean well enough.

A little cloning is inevitable, but you're making it much harder on yourself than it needs to be. A few minutes spent preparing will save much more time after the image is scanned.
04-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just picked up the PrimeFilm XE (more detailed comments about it in another thread specifically about that scanner in this section) and found the SilverFast dust/scratch (iSRD) removal to work EXTREMELY well even on the 'auto' setting but only for color negatives. For B&W it does not work well at all so I leave it off and correct within LightRoom. The newer version of LR has a WONDERFUL new additional to the spot removal tool which helps hugely called "Visualize Spots". More info here: John Nack on Adobe : Demo: Lightroom 5′s new “Visualize Spots” feature