Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Just Picked Up a Bunch of Darkroom Stuff & Looking For Advice!

I found an ad on Facebook, a gentleman was giving away what was advertised as a complete darkroom package for free. I went and picked it up yesterday as I have a perfect windowless utility room. However I have some questions/need some advice as this is my first foray into processing my own film.

First off, Im not sure that I have everything I need? I think I have all of the equipment, and just need chemicals and paper, but I'm not sure, so I have listed below everything that I have, and hopefully y'all can tell me if I am missing anything essential.

Here's what I have, everything came to me in its original packaging with manuals (except the enlarger itself, which I only have a warranty card for, no manual)

-Minolta Color Enlarger Model I
-Minolta Mixing Box Module 6x6 / 6x7
-Radiac Tungsten Halogen Lamp

-Minolta 1:2.8 50mm Enlarging Lens
-Omegar 1:3.5 50mm Enlarging Lens
-Schneider-Kreuznach 1:3.5 50mm Enlarging Lens
-Rodenstock 1:4.0 50mm Enlarging Lens
-Vivitar 1:3.5 75mm Enlarging Lens
-Nikkor 1:5.6 80mm Enlarging Lens

-Kodak Adjustable Safelight Model A
-Kodak Safelight Filter
-Kodak Safelight Bulb 15 Watts
-Kodak Brownie Darkroom Lamp Kit Model B
-Kindermann 15 Watt Bulb

-Kodak [Mechanical] Timer
-GR-72 Time-O-Light Electric Timer

-LPL Focus Scope Type II
-LPL Footswitch for Safelight & Enlarger
-Dexter Mat Cutter

-Paterson Film Tank - Small/1 35mm Spool
-Paterson Film Tank - Large/6 35mm Spools
-Kindermann Film Tank - Small/ 1 ?Spool - Looks bigger than 35mm, maybe 120?

-Tongs (5 Pairs)
-Various Beakers and Glassware
-Photography Thermometer
-Paterson Contact Proof Printer
-Vivtar 8x10 Enlarging Easel
-Royal 8x10 Enlarging Easel
-Various Trays (13 of them)
-Metal 11x14 Enlarging Easel Mask

-Kodacraft Printing Mask Set
-Kodak Neutral Test Cards

So... First off, aside from chemicals and paper, am I missing anything?

Secondly I want to develop 35mm black and white film, what chemicals do I need to get in order to do this, also how much of various chemicals will I need? Like on average if I wanted to develop a single roll of film how much of each chemical component would I need to do it?

Thirdly, anyone know why the previous owner would have had so many 50mm enlarger lenses?

Does anyone know where to get a manual for the Enlarger? I've shot off an email to Minolta to see if they have a PDF manual available but probably wont hear back anything until Monday at the earliest if they even get back to me.

Finally, anyone have any sage wisdom they want to impart upon me, Im all ears. Especially if you have used any of this equipment specifically and have any tips or tricks you want to share.

03-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No wisdom. I'm too totally green with envy to talk, for once. :P That's quite a haul. Enjoy!
03-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is some haul. Holy cow.

Wish I could offer more advice. I do develop my own film, but I don't have any darkroom equipment... I do it in my bathroom and scan the negatives.

First bit of advice. Get expired or exposed film and practice spooling it onto the reels. Practice, practice, practice. You have to be able to do it blind. That's step one.
03-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Get expired or exposed film and practice spooling it onto the reels.
That. Its a royal pita to figure it out by feel the first time so do it with junk so you can see what you are doing.

I was wondering about the 50mm lens pile myself, they aren't worth much these days (even good ones) so he likely just never bothered to sell them as he acquired different ones. Generally faster is better but look them up to see which is actually best quality wise. The 75 and 80mm are for medium format developing normally.
I'm not really personally experienced with a lot of that stuff brand wise but it looks pretty complete, you will have to look through some darkroom tutorials and see of you don't have the parts for any step.
As far as instructions go though it would be nice to have a book for odd specific adjustments on that unit and such, most enlargers are identical enough function wise that generic darkroom instructions would be enough.

A lot of really experienced darkroom folks like to use a mishmash of brands and types for chemicals and paper, that is too much of a bother for someone starting out to sort through.
I went straight to Ilford (purchased from B&H) for all B&W film and chemicals and paper so that everything converted nicely and the information on developing their films with their supplies was 100% accurate. There are charts that cover mixed brand stuff by why bother when you can just get a complete system.
I chose Ilford over other companies because they make everything in both value and top notch pro quality, have an excellent website that explains everything with all the full product PDF's with instructions and they aren't in bankruptcy so I know I won't have to switch because things suddenly disappeared.

04-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yael Quote

First off, Im not sure that I have everything I need? I think I have all of the equipment, and just need chemicals and paper, but I'm not sure, so I have listed below everything that I have, and hopefully y'all can tell me if I am missing anything essential.
equipment wise you have it covered.

QuoteQuote:
-Minolta 1:2.8 50mm Enlarging Lens
-Nikkor 1:5.6 80mm Enlarging Lens
generally speaking, these are the goods ones in that lot. Use the 50mm one for enlarging 35mm fil, the 80mm for MF. You can use the 80 for 35mm but the projected image size will be smaller for the same enlarger head height. This can come in handy when making smaller prints. You won't be able to use the 50mm for MF film as it won't cover the whole negative.

QuoteQuote:
-Paterson Film Tank - Small/1 35mm Spool
start with this with your 35mm film, check underneath how much liquid it uses probably 300ml

QuoteQuote:
Secondly I want to develop 35mm black and white film, what chemicals do I need to get in order to do this, also how much of various chemicals will I need? Like on average if I wanted to develop a single roll of film how much of each chemical component would I need to do it?
for film you need
1. Film Developer
2. Stop bath / water
3. Rapid Fixer

for prints you need
1. Print developer
2. Stop bath (indicator stop bath is best, it changes colour once it's worn out)
3. Rapid fixer

Film and Paper developers can be powders or liquids. Powders you mix up the whole packet into a stock solution and dilute that into working solution. Liquids you dilute only the amount you need from the concentrate to working solution. If you use a powder (eg D76/Xtol) then store the stock in smallish bottles and they will last 6mth to a year. My current Xtol is over a year old and still working (not much developing been happening in my house!). All the dilution ratios and development times are on the packets, or find find the Massive Development Chart webpage. Generally, you use film developer 'one-shot'. You mix up some working solution, use it and discard it. To start, I'd recommend a liquid concentrate. Get whatever's available, HC110 is a good one to start with.

For film, a couple of rinses in water is fine or you can use a stop bath. Stop bath can be reused and the easy to use ones come as what's called indicator stop bath. They change colour once they wear out.

Film and Paper fixers can be the same, but keep seperate working solutions for eash as they are usually different dilutions and you don't want any contaminats from paper getting near your film. Film fixer can be reused for a set number of films before discarding. You can test the leader to make sure it good but I keep track of how many films I've used and discard before it's due. Paper fixer is similar but keeping track of how much you've processed it the easiest way of knowing when to replace. Paper developer can be reused but it goes off quickly. I keep it if I know I'll be back in the darkroom in a day or so, otherwise I discard it.

QuoteQuote:
Thirdly, anyone know why the previous owner would have had so many 50mm enlarger lenses?
Probably as said above, got better ones over the years and never got rid of the old ones. Look in my cupboard and you's see the same thing

QuoteQuote:
Finally, anyone have any sage wisdom they want to impart upon me, Im all ears. Especially if you have used any of this equipment specifically and have any tips or tricks you want to share.
get on Ilford's website (Harmon Technology) website, there's lots of info to get you started. Sign up to APUG and read...

Cheers, Nige
04-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #6

A little late to the party but....

So looks like he was picking up a bunch of 50mm lenses trying to upgrade. However, from my quick research, almost all of these lenses are approximately the same type. 3 and 4 element lenses. I wouldn't worry too much about it. All those 50mm's are made by quality manufacturers so you should be ok with any of them. I recommend you start off with the brighter Minolta lens as it will be easier to focus. The 80mm Nikkor is a fine lens should you start shooting medium format.

Looks like you got everything you need. If you're trying to process on a budget, I recommend using Rodinal and powder chemicals like fixer and such. These chemicals tend to have a ridiculous shelf life. Plus with Rodinal's 50 to 1 dilution, is very economical. Some chemicals like fixer and stop bath can be used for a very long time. Developers though have varying shelf lives. Some like Rodinal are one shot.. others like D-76 can be reused. Others like Ilfosol (beautiful results) DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH 3 weeks after you open the bottle.

Darkroom is another art form. You may or may not get addicted to it. Just remember, its ok to screw up the first few times.