Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone shooting reversal film exclusively?

In the spirit of MD Optofonik's thread about shooting film, I wanted to ask my fellow Pentaxians if there are any of you who shoot exclusively and only on reversal film. I have been camera scanning my in-law's collection of slides and I'm blown away at the quality of the colors, the contrast, and the general presentation. The idea has always enchanted me but the higher costs and the lack of local developer have always scared me off. I'm slowly overcoming that psychological inertia. Once I work through my stash of film I am seriously considering loading up on Velvia and Provia.

08-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I read the title and thought you were asking about the Reversal Film Simulation mode...

[shows age]
08-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Or, maybe it shows my age!!
08-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

I never shot slides exclusively, but it was my preferred medium. It was hard to beat the vibrant warm colors and contrast of Kodachrome. Prints never had the same vibrancy although the gloss Cibachrome material came close.

E-6 processing at home isn't all that much more difficult than C-41 - just 2 or 3 more steps.

08-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I never shot slides exclusively, but it was my preferred medium. It was hard to beat the vibrant warm colors and contrast of Kodachrome. Prints never had the same vibrancy although the gloss Cibachrome material came close.

E-6 processing at home isn't all that much more difficult than C-41 - just 2 or 3 more steps.
100% in agreement. I would only add that Fuji's reversal films were my favorites for outdoor, non-people shots due to the vibrant greens and blues.
08-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Exclusively? No, but when i shoot film I definitely prefer slides. What makes them unique, at least for me, is they're a finished product whereas negatives or digital captures invite editing.
08-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
100% in agreement. I would only add that Fuji's reversal films were my favorites for outdoor, non-people shots due to the vibrant greens and blues.
They all had their own strengths - Koadchrome for sunny outdoor people shots, Agfa for its reds, Fuji for their greens. Then there was the bluish cast of Ektachrome.

Ahh, memories.

08-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
They all had their own strengths - Koadchrome for sunny outdoor people shots, Agfa for its reds, Fuji for their greens. Then there was the bluish cast of Ektachrome.

Ahh, memories.
That's the joy of films. Each has their own tonal accentuation. Popping in a new roll is like getting a whole new camera all over again!

I was thinking of loading a Spotmatic F with Velvia for the saturated nature/outdoor shots and my ZX-60 with Provia for "daily life" adventures and walk-around shots. My Bronica ETRS would also get Provia and that would be my portrait camera. I only have a 75mm prime for my Bronica so I am a little more limited there.

I have been looking into Agfa Precisa but it sounds like that is just re-branded Fuji Provia. Is that right?
08-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started in 35mm photography slide films were much better than color negative films.
For thirty five years nearly all of my color photography was done on slide film.

Today's color negative films are greatly improved, and slide film selection is greatly diminished.
Fortunately the films left are very good. Far fewer labs process E-6 film now.

After Sandy I bought a real nice Elmo slide projector to replace the Carousel I lost.
But my new Pakon scanner can't handle mounted slides, so I'm kind of at a crossroads...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-17-2014 at 05:22 AM.
08-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have been looking into Agfa Precisa but it sounds like that is just re-branded Fuji Provia. Is that right?

If that is true then I will have to buy a brick or two as Fuji Provia is outstanding!

---------- Post added 08-14-14 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Once I work through my stash of film I am seriously considering loading up on Velvia and Provia.

Do not wait as you owe it to yourself to be able to say you captured that image on slide.
08-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've shot one roll of Velvia in my 645, and I have another plus a 135 in the fridge. The shot roll has been there, undeveloped, for around 10 months, because it's so hard to find a place to develop them. The rolls I have I got cheap or free because they were slightly expired, otherwise a roll of Velvia in 135 costs around €15.

Shooting slide film at all is a challenge, and shooting it exclusively would be an extremely expensive challenge
08-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot slide film (K64 and Fujichrome) exclusively for color for many years and sort of retired my film cameras when I first went to digital. It was the release of Ektar 100 that got me back into film and a figital work flow. Given the quality of current C41 print films and the expense of working with reversal films, slides don't make much sense anymore. Come to think of it, given the current quality of digital output, small format color film work does not really make sense anymore.

Steve
08-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For colour film I pretty well shoot 100% slides, both in 35mm & 120.

For b&w 120 I shoot 100% negatives for 35mm b&w I shoot either slides (Fomapan R100) or negatives that are processed as slides.

I shoot 120 around town and 35mm on my travels, so I only want slides on my trips. (I still do slide shows and torture my family)

Phil
08-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Until 2011 I shoot exclusively slides (Agfachrome and Fuji Velvia or Astia), but since I've tried Portra 400, I use this film from time to time.
08-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #15

Last night I developed two rolls. Velvia 100 and Provia. The dramatic differences of the two are incredible. And theres still nothing in photography that can replicate seeing an image on the light box. The colours, depth, sharpness, rendering, whatever words you can use all come together to produce the ultimate in satisfaction!