Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

lab prints from 135 negative film

Are standard 4x6 prints (that you get when getting your film processed at a film store lab) processed digitally?
I mean, do they scan the negatives, process the images via some computer, and then print them out? .. or is the whole process still analog?

08-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

I would guess that they will be scanned, as the process will be easier to automate and faster as well. There should still be some labs around that can do the analog process.
Here most common services for scanning 135 films somehow return low-res (~1 Mpixels) files...
08-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that it's still all analog. When I get my film developed these days, I do usually have them developed and scanned only - no prints. That's kind of the reverse to your question but it's an answer. I have to ask for them to scan the negatives otherwise they just print them through the analog process.
08-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It depends on their equipment and what they want to do.

Analogue printers exist but a lot have ripped them out and gone digital.

Digital printers fall into two classes, the first is digital all the way they scan and then use digital printing with dyes to print out the image.

The second scans just like the first but they output via a dedicated photographic process in other words its a digital scan and an analogue print of a digital projection.

The analogue print doesn't care the light is digitally created so it works fine.

Ask then what process they use. The important questions are, what do they look like, how long do they last, how much does it cost.

08-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your prints will be done via digital scans, only a few labs still do analog printing and it will cost more.

It's the same if you bring in a slide/negative for an enlarged print, it will be done via a scan as well.

Phil.
08-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Your prints will be done via digital scans, only a few labs still do analog printing and it will cost more.

It's the same if you bring in a slide/negative for an enlarged print, it will be done via a scan as well.

Phil.
Yep, it is difficult to find anything other than a pro lab that is capable of producing an optical enlargement from a negative or slide. When you do find one, the price can be $$$

One of my local shops, Blue Moon Camera, does traditional optical machine prints as well as darkroom enlargements and also has mail order. Here is a link to their Services page:

http://www.bluemooncamera.com/ProcessingHome.php

Steve
08-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My local camera store still has a full wet lab for C-41 processing - from negs to prints. Old school, as it should be! That's pretty rare though. As gofour3 says, it's a bit more expensive to do the full wet lab.