Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here are some samples from my first roll of Ferrania P30, everything is "vanilla". Lab processing using an Illford developer, medium res lab scans (6.7MB TIF files) and shot at the box speed of 80 ISO using my Super A.

I did some slight tweaking (lighting/contrast) in Photoshop and converted them to JPEG's. I used yellow/dark yellow and orange filters on the three lenses. (A20/2.8, FA31/1.8 & K50/1.2)

#1 A20/2.8 Yellow filter:

#2 FA31/1.8 Dark Yellow filter:

#3 K50/1.2 Orange filter:

#4 FA31/1.8 Dark Yellow filter:

#5 K50/1.2 Orange filter:

#6 FA31/1.8 Dark Yellow filter:

Phil.
Nice! Developing details have been a matter of extensive discussion with this film such that the notion of "vanilla" processing does not really apply. The "best practices" document from Film Ferrania has not helped much. Your results look better than most I have seen. Is there any chance your lab might share developer, temp, agitation details?

Steve

08-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is there any chance your lab might share developer, temp, agitation details?
I'm shooting another roll this weekend and will ask the Lab for more details. This is the developer they used, contents from the Ilford website:

ILFORD ILFOTEC DD-X is an excellent fine grain developer which gives full film speed. It produces negatives which are easy to print. Correctly exposed negatives developed in ILFOTEC DD-X have a full range of tones, with depth in the shadows, a smooth transition through the mid-tones and bright detailed highlights ILFOTEC DD-X is designed to complement the features of all ILFORD films, especially the range of ILFORD DELTA PROFESSIONAL films. In particular it is recommended for use with DELTA 3200 PROFESSIONAL film rates at EI 3200/36. It also gives excellent results when used with quality black and white films from other manufacturers.ILFOTEC DD-X ensures a good balance of fine grain, sharpness and tonal rendition producing negatives which allow a high degree of enlargement. In addition it is highly recommended when fast films need to be push processed such as HP5 Plus, DELTA 400 PROFESSIONAL, DELTA 3200 PROFESSIONAL and SFX200. ILFOTEC DD-X is supplied as a liquid concentrate diluted 1+4 for one-shot use when the highest image quality is required. However, for greater economy it can be reused but image quality will be reduced slightly.

Phil.
08-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #48
Forum Member

Phil, very nice samples of what seems the strengths of this film: high contrast scenes and a lot of light. I'm heading to the shops to get me some. My dev on hand will be Tmax dev 1:4. Thanks for posting.
08-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Are they planning to produce enough to sell any to non-subscribers too?
I have not seen this film advertised for sale anywhere.

Chris
Right now it's currently a "Alpha" product, which means that the rolls of film that are being sent out to the Kickstarter backers are pretty much their "test version" of the film, in-which they're collecting all the information (e.g. developing times in xyz developer) that the photographers give back to them will help them improve their product and fix any issues that may have poped up, so there's little or no issues when it's officially released to the product.

Once they fulfill all (or a large portion of) the Kicksarter backers orders, that's when they'll start selling it to the public.

08-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not my work, but this user on Flickr has shared his results and they look good...

Film Ferrania P30 | Flickr

Even better, Ferrania's Flickr pool

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2673736@N25/pool/

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.
08-06-2017, 01:10 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Not my work, but this user on Flickr has shared his results and they look good...

Film Ferrania P30 | Flickr

Even better, Ferrania's Flickr pool

FilmFerrania | Flickr

Steve
The more recnt shots on Ferrania's Flickr look better. They seem to have tamed the contrast.
08-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The more recnt shots on Ferrania's Flickr look better. They seem to have tamed the contrast.
I went through the full set on the Ferrania Flickr group and came to the conclusion that without seeing the actual negatives, it is difficult to tell much about the film. From all appearances, it appears to build density fast in the highlights with short times in standard developers. OTOH, many of the scans are sub-par so it is hard to tell whether detail deficiency, contrast problems, and clipping (both light and dark) in many of the submissions are the result of problems placing exposure, poor scanning technique, poor PP, or inappropriate development. I would love to see an exposure wedge shot at box speed (standard development) along with dense black and bright white texture challenge subjects to see what this film can do at extremes. A characteristic curve for same might be nice too. (Surely they have a densitometer somewhere in that pile of stuff salvaged from the old operation.)

Steve

08-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Nice! Developing details have been a matter of extensive discussion with this film such that the notion of "vanilla" processing does not really apply. The "best practices" document from Film Ferrania has not helped much. Your results look better than most I have seen. Is there any chance your lab might share developer, temp, agitation details?

Steve
Just had a look at the P30 gallery on Ferrania website, and they provide processing details in the captions: P30
08-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Just had a look at the P30 gallery on Ferrania website, and they provide processing details in the captions: P30
There is a running discussion of user-submitted details as well as the best-practices document.

P30 Best Practices (PDF)

P30 Processing Forum

Of the two, the processing forum appears to be the most interesting and informative at this date.

Steve
08-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here are some samples from my first roll of Ferrania P30
The architecture in shots 1, 2 and 4 looks as 70's as the film! Apart from the one person in that 4th shot, it looks like the Marie Celeste University.
08-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The architecture in shots 1, 2 and 4 looks as 70's as the film!
UBC has a nice mixture of old and new architecture, as they are always doing some sort of construction. It's not far from where I live and nice to walk around on the weekend/summer when the students are out of class.

SFU in Burnaby is also great and the brutalist architecture was designed by Arthur Erickson in the early 1960's.

Phil.