Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HC110 gives very nice results with most films once you find the right EI/dilution/development time combination.

If you find the grain objectionable and the negatives appear dense I suggest you reduce development time a bit.
Also do not be tempted to agitate more than recommended.

Chris

10-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #17
pai

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just spent a few minutes on the FilmTec Web site and on the ORWO North America Web site and now realize that they only sell in long rolls (30+ meters) through orwona.com site. If did not already have two full bulk loaders, I might try it. $30 USD for 100' is not a bad price.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that since it is motion picture film, it is only available in bulk. Works out to be quite economical in the long run though. I have not yet tried the 400 version, but the results seem to be quite good for the price. The best part is that it is a relatively unknown film, so experimenting with developing times and EI is fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Those results are pretty bad. I cannot believe that is 100 film. Perhaps it is like using Rodnial with 320TXP. That developer/film combo is terrible and caused grain clumping and just flat-out bad results.
Tuco, the film is 400, not 100. Nevertheless, like Steve said, I overdeveloped it. The more I look at the negatives, the more obvious it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I've just started using the Arista Premium 400. Developing it in D76 at the standard times for Tri-X gave me results that I'm quite happy with so far. Tri-X and D76 is a classic combo that has worked for many a photographer over the years. Having D76 as one of your limited options isn't a bad thing.

What scanner are you using?
In hindsight, I realise I should have given the classic combination of D76 and Tri-X a go. This was just a test roll anyway, so next time, I'm going to try HC110 with a reduced developing time and also D76.

I use an Epson V600 scanner and the Epson Scan software that came with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
HC110 gives very nice results with most films once you find the right EI/dilution/development time combination.

If you find the grain objectionable and the negatives appear dense I suggest you reduce development time a bit.
Also do not be tempted to agitate more than recommended.
Definitely, though D76 was an option, I ended up giving HC110 a try because it has given me good results with every film I've thrown at it. I gave two gentle inversions every 30 seconds. I usually agitate once a minute. Not sure if that also contributed.
10-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll be looking forward to your next batch.