Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mixing chemicals from scratch, anyone?

Anyone else here mixing their developers from scratch. It's kinda fun, easy, and gives you a large selection of developers.
Attached is a pic of the last time I mixed up some D-76. It's cheaper than buying pre-mixed ... I think. :-)
Maurice

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
11-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fascinating...
Do you have any pics of the developed pictures?
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really want to try Caffenol but have not yet
11-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I went to read that information on coffee, vitamin C and washing soda. Very, very interesting!

11-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Using Caffenol?

I have not tried Caffenol, but I plan to do so in the future. Hmmm, wonder how it would work with Panatomic-X ? I want to try Dr. Blood's Phenidone/Ascorbic Acid/Kodalk developer first.
11-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mckay3d Quote
I have not tried Caffenol, but I plan to do so in the future. Hmmm, wonder how it would work with Panatomic-X ? I want to try Dr. Blood's Phenidone/Ascorbic Acid/Kodalk developer first.
At this rate, I can see I'll be buying a developing tank before long!
11-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
At this rate, I can see I'll be buying a developing tank before long!
Depending on the painting, this one could be developed further....

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/images/products/22191966/Aoshima-M1A2-Abrams-148...6889369-5.jpeg

11-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Depending on the painting, this one could be developed further....

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/images/products/22191966/Aoshima-M1A2-Abrams-148...6889369-5.jpeg

Your link doesn't work, at least on this side of the Tasman…
11-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Your link doesn't work, at least on this side of the Tasman…
Not working for me either, Bob!
11-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been a long time since I did it, but, back in my collage days at R.I.T I have also made film emulsions from scratch in our photo chemistry class. Melted the gelatine, precipitated and grew the sllver halide crystals in it. Added sensitizers and even coated it on a cleaned off sheet of 4 x 5 film. Turned out pretty good. Around ASA 100. And I won a case of beer for my efforts.

One time a made a monobath using phenidone as a developing agent and found that by varying the amount of fixing agent in the formula I could change the contrast index in a linear fashion.
11-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Been a long time since I did it, but, back in my collage days at R.I.T I have also made film emulsions from scratch in our photo chemistry class. Melted the gelatine, precipitated and grew the sllver halide crystals in it. Added sensitizers and even coated it on a cleaned off sheet of 4 x 5 film. Turned out pretty good. Around ASA 100. And I won a case of beer for my efforts.

One time a made a monobath using phenidone as a developing agent and found that by varying the amount of fixing agent in the formula I could change the contrast index in a linear fashion.
Amazing! (Although I suspect it would have been easier chemistry to simply produce the case of beer!)
11-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several decades ago when I was in college I routinely mixed several print developers as I was not a fan of Dektol's tendency to block shadows and also liked to work with warmer-tome papers like Portriga Rapid and DuPont Varilour (there: I've dated myself pretty precisely). I liked Ilford ID-78 for warm tone papers, Ansco 120 as the soft developer in a two-developer printing process (the commercial alternative was Kodak Selectol-Soft). For cold-tone papers I remember using DuPont 54-D on Varigam and 55-D on Varilour. Frankly, the differences are subtle though real. Haven't had access to a wet darkroom in many years so no idea how modern materials would respond to these. For published film formulas that were not D-76 clones the problem was to determine the processing time for a given film, which took a fair amount of film and time and preferably access to a densitometer.
11-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The great names in photography

For those unfamiliar with it, R.I.T. is located in Rochester, New York and is pretty much the world's premiere imaging science school. The same city is, or has been home to Kodak, Polaroid, Bausch and Lomb, Xerox, Wollensak, Folmer Graflex, and many other easily-recognized names. No surprise that film emulsions were on the curriculum there!
This made me a little misty, thinking about those great firms in Rochester that are no longer in business. So much history.
Maurice
11-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Amazing! (Although I suspect it would have been easier chemistry to simply produce the case of beer!)
Yeah, but Dr. Francis insisted we make film, not beer. For the liberal arts crowd on campus it was: Make love, not war" so I guess we geeks missed out on that too. He was pretty tough on us. Our lab notebooks had to be kept in such a way that they would be legally acceptable to be used in court cases. Every page signed and the countersigned by our lab partner. Grammar was big with him too. Poor grammer would cost you at least one letter grade. As he said, patent cases can turn on poor grammer and if we were going to be working in industry we had better get used to it now.

Dr. Francis came from industry and had, in the past, worked with Harold Edgerton and Edwin Land, For you youngin's Edgerton invented the electronic strobe and Land invented Polaroid film. For you chemistry buffs, Dr, Francis once told of working in the organic chemistry lab late one night while in college and being bored, he and a friend threw a large chunk of sodium metal into a snow drift outside the window with rather spectacular results.

Dr. Francis was the best professor I ever had and the photo chemistry lab at R.I.T is named in his honor. Hard to believe that this was all of 45 years ago.
11-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Yeah, but Dr. Francis insisted we make film, not beer. For the liberal arts crowd on campus it was: Make love, not war" so I guess we geeks missed out on that too. He was pretty tough on us. Our lab notebooks had to be kept in such a way that they would be legally acceptable to be used in court cases. Every page signed and the countersigned by our lab partner. Grammar was big with him too. Poor grammer would cost you at least one letter grade. As he said, patent cases can turn on poor grammer and if we were going to be working in industry we had better get used to it now.

Dr. Francis came from industry and had, in the past, worked with Harold Edgerton and Edwin Land, For you youngin's Edgerton invented the electronic strobe and Land invented Polaroid film. For you chemistry buffs, Dr, Francis once told of working in the organic chemistry lab late one night while in college and being bored, he and a friend threw a large chunk of sodium metal into a snow drift outside the window with rather spectacular results.

Dr. Francis was the best professor I ever had and the photo chemistry lab at R.I.T is named in his honor. Hard to believe that this was all of 45 years ago.
Well, I'm suitably impressed with your skills! I remember a "chunk of sodium" accident too. Left a biggish hole in the ceiling, after accidentally landing in a large beaker of water, having been dropped by clumsy teacher.