Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Processing slide film

I did a forum search and didn't find anything, but if this has been covered before, my apologies...

Relative to B&W , how difficult is E6 processing? What about printing?

I shoot about 50% B&W, 50% slide film, and I'm interested in going full analog for both, doing my own processing and prints. I have no idea, though, about processing and printing slides, so drop some knowledge on me.

Thanks.

12-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's been years since i processed any film, But if I remember correctly, E6 film was one of the easiest to process. You will need a light safe changing bag, or a Very dark room that has no possibility for light to enter. Also, the room needs to be ventilated, for the actual processing. some people can be allergic to the chemicals fumes. A light safe film changing bag is preferable, once you load the film canister, you can do the processing in your kitchen or bathroom. you will also need a film canister, and a few chemicals. The hardest part is loading the film on the film Spool. go to YouTube, and search for photo University. He has recently made a short film video on how to do it. chemical volume is something else you need to watch. If you don't have enough volume, the film will not be immersed in the chemical. Too much volume and you will not be able to agitate the chemical properly. make sure you measure carefully. You will also need a timer or clock, That will display seconds and that you can read easily. there are many books that cover this process, you can also search the web. Information should be easy to find.

as far as printing goes, you will need to scan the slide into a digital format, for most companies to print. I'm sure there are some companies that can do this for you. or you can do it your self the old-fashioned way.
12-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Processing E-6 requires more attention to detail. Having correct temperature is critical at the beginning of the process. When I did a lot of E-6 processing I would put my chemicals in a bathtub of water and start the process when the temperature dropped to the exact temperature. I have developed hundreds of rolls of film this way or using a big sink as a water bath. As far as printing goes, I think paper for direct printing color slides is no longer available which means that scanning the slides is the only way to get prints.
12-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

I've found E6 to be the most difficult, but most rewarding development. Nothing beats pulling out the fresh chromes. Film development is simply chemistry, so if you follow the directions closely you'll get the results. Temperature is critical, as is agitation. I used a big saucepan with water and kept it just above the needed temperature. Dunk your tank in it until its warm, and measure the chemicals themselves, not the bottle, for correct temperature before starting. Temperature gets less dependent as the processes go on.
As for printing, unfortunately yes the hybrid method must be used as far as I'm aware. But you get the convenience of control after the unique and unmatched image quality. Nothing captures the tonality and infinite depth of light like slide film, its the one thing that has really put me off digital. I really like the cameras and lenses, but the output is just so far from what I enjoy on my lighttable.

12-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the paper was no longer available. That's disappointing. What about paper for printing color negs?

I guess if I want start-to-finish analog, I'll stick with B&W.
12-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

Pretty much what everybody said before. As recommended by a UniColor rep at a photo show that you use fill the tank with water at processing temperature for 30 seconds before starting the processing. This brings the system up to temperature so there is little drop in temp when you add the critical first developer. This is especially important in winter.

I used to process a lot of E-6, buying bulk rolls. I bought a drum tank (up to six rolls of 35mm film) and agitator roller and got very consistent results after using the pre-soak method.
12-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did it once many years ago using the Unicolor "simple" kit, but only to meet a deadline.
Never again. There are still plenty of excellent E6 labs.

One benefit of that experience is that it makes me appreciate how easy black and white is!

Chris

12-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
I'm not really opposed to lab processing. It's the printing that really had my interest. Sounds like optical slide printing has gone the way of the dodo. Pity.
12-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

I hadn't realized that print material was no longer available for slides. Looking it up Ilford stopped producing Illfordchrome paper in 2012. Another analog technology bites the dust. Pity - the old Ilford/Cibachrome was wonderful stuff - especially the high gloss Cibachrome.
12-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lost all my slides in Sandy, along with my Carousel projector.
After I bought some E-6 film and a brand new Elmo projector.

But the selection of slide films discouragingly seems to diminish by the day.
Fuji is the "last man standing". We'll have to wait to see what Ferrania may do.

My new Pakon scanner can't handle mounted slides.
I may give up slides and switch to Ektar and Portra.

Chris
12-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
That stinks that you lost your slides. The projector is just an insurance claim, but the slides...that stinks.

I like Fuji's Provia 100. If I knew there would be means to develop it for a while, I'd stock up in a big way before it, too disappears.
12-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed. I lost all my slides, negatives and photos going back to the mid-1970's.

Chris