Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The other option you can pursue is getting a macro lens and a film holder that screws into the filter threads of the lens.
Have you been doing this? If so, how many frames have you scanned in this manner and what types of films?

12-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Have you been doing this? If so, how many frames have you scanned in this manner and what types of films?
Here is a shortened link to my Film album on Flickr.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjVSomh6

The concept is very simple. Digitally photograph the film. Invert the colors if a negative. Otherwise go straight to white balance, tint, and sharpness. Easy, right? Well ...

I've been using Aperture for this. It's about as automated as a human hand is. I have a simple preset that works as a starting point but there is a lot of manual tweaking. It's something I'm continuously playing with and learning so I am far from being an expert. I'm sure scanning software like VueScan is much more intelligent than me. There are software engineers who analyze this sort of thing all day and I'm sure there's a world of knowledge in that package.
12-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Here is a shortened link to my Film album on Flickr.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjVSomh6

The concept is very simple. Digitally photograph the film. Invert the colors if a negative. Otherwise go straight to white balance, tint, and sharpness. Easy, right? Well ...

Thanks but I am more interested in how many frames you have actually scanned and what kinds of film since your previous post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/258...-film-pix.html

I have dslr scanned a few hundred frames compared to almost 20,000 using the Nikon Coolscan and the workflow and results are not the same particularly when it comes to negatives.
12-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Oh, oh! I misunderstood. Sorry!

When I get back to my computer this week I can open up my Film library and see how many frames I scanned total. If I had to guess the number would be around 1200.

12-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Oh, oh! I misunderstood. Sorry!

No problem at all as I am more interested in your experience, the kinds of films, processes and any issues you have encountered so far.

I would also be interested to know if you have compared your own results with other scanners.
12-17-2014, 01:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice.

The help is much appreciated. I will rely on the review of the Epson V800/V850 machine. It has the digital ICE dust removal that my Nikon had. This one feature really attracts me. The other cool thing is preserving digitally my old prints, which of course the Nikon could never do.
Cheers.
04-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by terrywl1 Quote
Hi film users,
I have just had to say goodbye to my much used and loved Nikon Coolscan V ED film and negative scanner after our house was struck by lightning recently. Nikon as a company has been useless since, with no ability to repair or replace the fried USB controller.
Does anyone have any experience yet with the new Epson Perfection V800 or V850 film and negative scanners? I would be interested to know how they compare in quality and ease of use to the Nikon scanners.
Many thanks,
Terry
I have purchased a replacement Nikon Coolscan V ED from Korea Camera via. Ebay. Great service and perfect condition. Very happy I did not change for a new brand. Cheers.

04-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Congrats on the find.
A good thing about that is you are already familiar with the workflow and results.
04-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutterbug magazine gave this scanner (v850) a very good review. However, other reviewers stated that this is just a V750 with better film holders. I have the older model the V750. It's an OK scanner for large format, medium format film and prints, plus you can scan documents and real-life stuff like leaves, flowers and such, but for 35mm, film it's not that good, to be honest. I recently purchased the dedicated 35mm PrimeFilm XE which I'm very happy with. It blows the Epson out of the water when it comes to 35mm film, but the Epson is more versatile.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 04-20-2015 at 01:40 PM.
04-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I decided I don't like change that much, so stuck with the Nikon. It is amazing how the prices for these machines have held up at very high levels, despite FF Nikon cameras.
Cheers.
04-20-2015, 01:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Reflecta RPS 10M ausf

"With an effective resolution of 4300 ppi the Reflecta RPS 10M trumps the long-standing leader Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED..."

"A higher effective resolution is only offered by Hasselblad scanners."

"The Reflecta RPS 10M is currently the top model in the medium price range for film scanners. With its automatic film strip feed and filmstrip transport and its variable focus and auto focus it has unique features that are normally only be found in Nikon film scanners."

I imagine it's the new standard for affordable 35mm film scanners.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-20-2015 at 01:25 AM.
04-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Reflecta RPS 10M ausf

"With an effective resolution of 4300 ppi the Reflecta RPS 10M trumps the long-standing leader Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED..."

"A higher effective resolution is only offered by Hasselblad scanners."

"The Reflecta RPS 10M is currently the top model in the medium price range for film scanners. With its automatic film strip feed and filmstrip transport and its variable focus and auto focus it has unique features that are normally only be found in Nikon film scanners."

I imagine it's the new standard for affordable 35mm film scanners.
I imagine it's the new standard for affordable 35mm film scanners

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/282...#ixzz3XtBcFANC

The great thing about this is that it costs about the same as a V850.
04-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #28

Reflecta RPS 10M

There is a catch with the Reflecta RPS 10M
No batch scanning of mounted slides!