Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Yellow vs. Orange filter / b&w 35mm.

I already have a Pentax Y2 yellow filter, like this one:

And I see the changes in my exposures when using the filter,
Now, I found a Orange X2 filter in my city, and I wanted to know, is there any real difference between yellow and orange filters?

I know there is a big gap from a yellow x2 filter to a x4 red filter, but I don't have experience with orange.

I sometimes use tmax100 but monstly Pan100 and 400 (rarely push it more than 1 stop).

The filter I found for sale is Cozo "Y2" (I think the seller must have got that wrong" filter

Any help will be much appreciated.

12-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Get the orange filter. It is a handy filter. More so than a red, IMHO. There are a few grades of orange filters but typically they have a 2-stop filter factor. It will darken blue sky a little more than a yellow and not as much as a red. And of course it will lighten its color and darken the opposite color too like all colored filters for BW film.

I hardly ever shoot with a red filter. The 3-stop penalty is often too much. It makes shooting 100 film like shooting ISO 12 film and it really darkens shadows because it cuts the blue out of them too.
12-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Get the orange filter. It is a handy filter. More so than a red, IMHO.
I concur, though I don't own an orange filter Red is just a little too much most of the time.

While I don't own an orange, I do own a "minus-blue" Wratten 12. The #12 is basically a yellow filter with a specific absorption peak for blue light (longpass at 500 nm). The filter factor is the same as for a K2/Y2 yellow. In my region, there is a lot of water vapor in the air and the #12 deals with it nicely.

Steve
12-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Steve and Tuco for the input.

What I was thinking about the orange filter I posted (already bought it, they are really rare here and I can't buy off ebay/amazon) is that I could use it to correct this 500T film I have when shooting daylight, right?

Maybe not completely correct but it would look better I think

12-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

I would use an orange filter to bring out more texture in wood; also useful when taking a portrait to emphasize a male face....the more worn look. I also liked it to darken the sky but not the black sky look of a red filter.
12-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by agusbmxarg Quote
I could use it to correct this 500T film I have when shooting daylight, right?
You might, though I believe the filter for that task is called an 85B and provides a very specific filtering to adjust white balance. The filter factor is only 1.6 (2/3 stop). Prices are about the same as for other colored filters.

Steve
12-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdodrill Quote
I would use an orange filter ... also useful when taking a portrait to emphasize a male face....the more worn look.
Perhaps you mean a green filter for that rugged look? Green darkens orange/reds whereas orange filter lightens it.

12-17-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A yellow green filter will darken skies and foliage and benefit skin tones.
IMO it's the best general purpose filter for BW photography.

Chris
12-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A yellow green filter will darken skies and foliage and benefit skin tones.
IMO it's the best general purpose filter for BW photography.

Chris
What Chris said. I've been waiting for you to chime in.

02 is really for truly washed out landscapes (SW USA) on bright days with thin clouds. Y2 makes greens stand out in higher contrast as well as bringing clouds forward against a bright blue sky.
12-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

Perhaps you mean a green filter for that rugged look? Green darkens orange/reds whereas orange filter lightens it.

correct.....a senior moment by me
12-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback people.

I want about the Hoya 'G' Orange filter, it doesn't look '100% orange' if you know what I mean. Link to Hoya site

According to the graph, the G orange filter is half way between the yellow filter and red filter, so I guess no matter if 'G' or 'X2', the orange G should still be different from my Y2 yellow, right?
12-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I want about the Hoya 'G' Orange filter, it doesn't look '100% orange' if you know what I mean. Link to Hoya site

According to the graph, the G orange filter is half way between the yellow filter and red filter, so I guess no matter if 'G' or 'X2', the orange G should still be different from my Y2 yellow, right?
It's hard to tell if it is just not an accurate color representation or it is one of those shades of orange I mention. In the PDF document of their filters, you can find a Table of Filter Factors and they list it as a G (O) with a 1 1/3 stop filter factor ( just a little more than a yellow). That's not as deep as my orange filter at 2 stops and the two brands I have are clearly orange in color. So I dunno.
01-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's hard to tell if it is just not an accurate color representation or it is one of those shades of orange I mention. In the PDF document of their filters, you can find a Table of Filter Factors and they list it as a G (O) with a 1 1/3 stop filter factor ( just a little more than a yellow). That's not as deep as my orange filter at 2 stops and the two brands I have are clearly orange in color. So I dunno.

It looks like a dark yellow filter, I have a couple from Schneider B+W that are similar. It is half way between a yellow and orange filter.

Phil.
01-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

this was very helpful link for me when looking for colored filter choices for B&W film

Using Coloured Filters in Black and White Photography | Photography Mad
03-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If you have a static subject (like a landscape) try each filter in turn, I carry several depths of yellow and a Polaroid, and cycle them for a nice landscape with clouds, even a light orange is more pronounced, but YMMV depending on the effect you want.

If the filter is not in the gbag you don't have the option.

Noel