Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with film selection.

Hi, so I just purchased an old 6.5x9 folding camera and was looking at film and I don't know which one I should buy. I was thinking 1 roll of HP5 400, 1 of Pan F 50 and 1 roll of Fujicolor for color. I'm not sure what is the difference between color slide film and negative color, I need help here.. I was also thinking of getting myself developing tank with 120 and 35mm reels to try and develop film at home in caffenol (I understand that any BW film can be developed in it). Not sure what I'm going to do about developing color film, so I would like an advice here too. Lens on the camera is old and slow so most of the shots will be made on a tripod.
Thanks in advance.

12-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, with old folders, don't go overboard until you do a first roll. I bought one, recently, for ten dollars and shot a roll of cheap film to test it. Horrid little beast, I threw it away. Buy one roll of the cheapest color film you can, then take it to be developed and printed. If you have no place local, send it to dwayne's photo.
12-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Which camera was it? I bought Voigtlander Avus with Skopar 105 4.5 on it. On BH the cheapest film is b&w. But it's even better I wanted to try to develop film myself and there's lot of info online about cafenol process. I'm just not sure if I'm gonna be able to develop color film and what's the difference between slide and negative.
I think I'll just get one roll of Illford HP5 400 film and try to develop it. It's just cheaper if I buy several rolls at a time because I won't have to pay for shipping again that's why why I wanted to buy more than one.

Last edited by furryurry; 12-30-2014 at 12:30 AM.
12-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
I'm not sure what is the difference between color slide film and negative color, I need help here.
Slide film is finer grained, generally sharper and higher resolving then it's equivalent ISO speed negative film. However, slides will require better attention to metering while negatives and b&w films can tolerate huge exposure range.

12-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Slide film is finer grained, generally sharper and higher resolving then it's equivalent ISO speed negative film. However, slides will require better attention to metering while negatives and b&w films can tolerate huge exposure range.
Thx that helped a lot.
12-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Does the camera take 120 roll film or does it take 620? Does the camera have a film spool in it?
A 120 spool is 65mm long by 25mm wide at the ends. A 620 spool is 63mm long by 23mm wide at the ends.
There is no difference in the film, only the spools. Both varieties are available from B&H.
I recommend getting a cheap roll of 100-speed black & white film to test with, though any film will do.
Use a light meter to determine correct exposure for each of the camera's shutter speeds and test them.
When you get the film back from the lab, you will see if you have light-leaks or shutter problems.
I would wait until you have a known-good, working camera before spending money on slide film.
12-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok thanks. I bought a Rada 120mm roll film back for it.

01-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

I'm in a similar position to yourself In that I'm just getting set-up to do film processing at home. This is what I've learnt so far, but take everything with a pinch of salt as I'm a rookie as well:-

Colour Negative film can be developed yourself though I've not tried it myself (I plan to once I've got B&W processing up an running at home). You can buy kits for it, but it's much more sensitive to temperature changes than B&W. Slide film could also be processed at home, but involves way more steps and I don't know whether you can buy kits.

One thing to note about the difference between Slide (E6) and Colour Negative (C41) is that Slide film forms a positive image so can be directly projected, but is rather more difficult to print; whereas C41 forms a negative image just like B&W Film and needs to be enlarged and printed. In this digital age though, both can be scanned. It's just worth noting if you were thinking about setting up a darkroom and doing your own prints etc.

A good link to information regarding B&W development is The Ultimate Guide to Developing Black and White Film | The Art of Photography. He even has a video too.

I reiterate that I'm also a rookie when it comes to film development and my information may well be a little inaccurate. There will probably be a veteran along later to correct me, but this should hopefully be of some use.
01-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsane Quote
I'm in a similar position to yourself In that I'm just getting set-up to do film processing at home. This is what I've learnt so far, but take everything with a pinch of salt as I'm a rookie as well:-

Colour Negative film can be developed yourself though I've not tried it myself (I plan to once I've got B&W processing up an running at home). You can buy kits for it, but it's much more sensitive to temperature changes than B&W. Slide film could also be processed at home, but involves way more steps and I don't know whether you can buy kits.

One thing to note about the difference between Slide (E6) and Colour Negative (C41) is that Slide film forms a positive image so can be directly projected, but is rather more difficult to print; whereas C41 forms a negative image just like B&W Film and needs to be enlarged and printed. In this digital age though, both can be scanned. It's just worth noting if you were thinking about setting up a darkroom and doing your own prints etc.

A good link to information regarding B&W development is The Ultimate Guide to Developing Black and White Film | The Art of Photography. He even has a video too.

I reiterate that I'm also a rookie when it comes to film development and my information may well be a little inaccurate. There will probably be a veteran along later to correct me, but this should hopefully be of some use.
Thanks for the info.
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsane Quote

Btw, are you planning to scan the film somehow (using a scanner or a DSLR) or just print using the negatives. If you plan to scan which scanner are you going to use? What do you think of Epson 4870?
01-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #11

You can buy home processing kits for both color negatives and slides. Slide processing has more steps in it so more chances of error. As noted before temperature and time is much more critical in color process than in B&W. So you should have a good, accurate thermometer and use water baths to keep the tank and chemicals at temperature. It would probably be best to start out with B&W before trying color.
01-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can buy home processing kits for both color negatives and slides. Slide processing has more steps in it so more chances of error. As noted before temperature and time is much more critical in color process than in B&W. So you should have a good, accurate thermometer and use water baths to keep the tank and chemicals at temperature. It would probably be best to start out with B&W before trying color.
Thank you.
01-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #13

Btw, are you planning to scan the film somehow (using a scanner or a DSLR) or just print using the negatives. If you plan to scan which scanner are you going to use? What do you think of Epson 4870?
As I'm at university studying Photography at the moment I've got access to their FIlm scanners (Nikon something) so don't really know much about what are a good choice (the Nikon's are now discontinued I believe). However, one of the librarians who was my tutor in previous years recommended an Epson flatbed to me when I was discussing film scanning with him; he said that while you probably can get better results with a dedicated film-scanner, a flatbed allows you to scan 35mm, 120, and even prints on the same device and allows you to scan quite a few frames at once.
01-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Some of the Nikons can take attachments to scan a batch of slides or a whole film, if it's not been cut into strips. You can scan small and rescan the ones you are interested in large.
01-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm not sure what is the difference between color slide film and negative color
Regarding the sharpness issue between the two film types, you would be hard pressed to see the difference between Ektar 100 print film and Velvia 100 slide film.