Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
sunshine7913

Flatten the film

Well I receive one roll of 120 film from Indie photo lab which is bad to me(ship with expensive package, bad service, and etc). When I open it, the film was rolled. idk what to do. How am I going to flat this film?

01-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You don't, You loaded in the camera and let the camera do it. That's the normal way It's sold.

120 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe I don't understand what you mean. In which case, Could you explain it better.
01-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put the 120 negatives into an archival sleeve and store flat... in about a week the curl will be gone. It is common, particularly in B&W where the emulsion is applied to one side of the acetate, to have the film curl during drying, and it is also common for that acetate to have some memory of been rolled (which is probably the most economical way of shipping).
01-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some films flatten out after doing what Mattt recommended + with something heavy and flat (that won't leave an imprint) on it.
Flatten for scanning? Depending on scanner, some filmhioders come with glass that will flatten it for scanning.

01-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is better to receive the rolled negatives than to have them cut through one of the frames.
01-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Put the 120 negatives into an archival sleeve and store flat... in about a week the curl will be gone. It is common, particularly in B&W where the emulsion is applied to one side of the acetate, to have the film curl during drying, and it is also common for that acetate to have some memory of been rolled (which is probably the most economical way of shipping).
Some films curl more than others. One is supposed to have a number of books on photographers to place the sheet of negatives under
01-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
It is better to receive the rolled negatives than to have them cut through one of the frames.
They are lazy to do that process...

01-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a local E-6 option so when I get mine back it comes rolled. Sometimes I roll it the other way and put it back in the tube in came in for a few hours to start straightening it. Then cut it into strips and flatten as Matt suggests.
01-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I don't have a local E-6 option so when I get mine back it comes rolled. Sometimes I roll it the other way and put it back in the tube in came in for a few hours to start straightening it. Then cut it into strips and flatten as Matt suggests.

Oh thanks a lot! It works!
01-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
betterscanning.com
01-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Labs won’t mount 120 slide film, so I get my E6 back from the processing rolled up just like colour or b&w negatives.

Phil.
01-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Labs won’t mount 120 slide film, so I get my E6 back from the processing rolled up just like colour or b&w negatives.
Right, but with a local lab it is possible to get the film uncut and unrolled, in a sleeve. At least it is in my case.
01-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
What he said. I always insist that the lab not cut, but send my the negatives as one long strip. As noted above, some films are more prone to curl than others. I was shooting Rollei Retro 100 (Agfa APX 100 stock confectioned as Rollei) and severe film curl was the rule regardless of how it was managed...

Fortunately, the curl was less severe with higher humidity. With 120 curl is less a problem. The key to film flatness is a good negative holder for scanning or enlarging.

Steve
01-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Right, but with a local lab it is possible to get the film uncut and unrolled, in a sleeve. At least it is in my case.
Mine come uncut and in a long sleeve, though rolling is required to get it into the box so that it can be stored and handled.

Steve
01-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep my lab does the same and puts the uncut 120 roll in a sleeve. They used to cut and mount the strips in an archival sheet, but that got too costly.

I did ask about mounting 120 slides but they are also too expensive and the machine only does 135 slide mounts.

Phil.

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mine come uncut and in a long sleeve, though rolling is required to get it into the box so that it can be stored and handled.

Steve
Yep same here.

Phil